Terms Used In Vermont Statutes Title 18 Sec. 5168

  • Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
  • Person: means any individual, company, corporation, association, partnership, the U. See
  • Probate: Proving a will
  • State: when applied to the different parts of the United States may apply to the District of Columbia and any territory and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. See
  • Town: shall include city and wards or precincts therein; "selectboard members" and "board of civil authority" shall extend to and include the mayor and aldermen of cities; "trustees" shall extend to and include bailiffs of incorporated villages; and the laws applicable to the inhabitants and officers of towns shall be applicable to the inhabitants and similar officers of all municipal corporations. See

§ 5168. Correction of civil union certificate

(a) Within six months after a civil union is certified, the town clerk may correct or complete a civil union certificate, upon application by a party to a civil union or by the person who certified the civil union. The town clerk shall certify that such correction or completion was made pursuant to this section and note the date. The town clerk may refuse an application for correction or completion; in which case, the applicant may petition the Probate Division of the Superior Court for such correction or completion.

(b) After six months from the date a civil union is certified, a civil union certificate may only be corrected or amended pursuant to decree of the Probate Division of the Superior Court in the district where the original certificate is filed.

(c) The Probate Division of the Superior Court shall set a time for a hearing and, if the court deems necessary, give notice of the time and place by posting such information in the Probate Division of the Superior Court office. After a hearing, the court shall make findings with respect to the correction of the civil union certificate as are supported by the evidence. The court shall issue a decree setting forth the facts as found and transmit a certified copy of the decree to the State Registrar. The State Registrar shall transmit the same to the appropriate town clerk to amend the original or issue a new certificate. The words “Court Amended” shall be typed, written, or stamped at the top of the new or amended certificate with the date of the decree and the name of the issuing court. (Added 1999, No. 91 (Adj. Sess.), § 5; amended 2009, No. 154 (Adj. Sess.), § 238a, eff. Feb. 1, 2011; 2017, No. 46, § 58, eff. July 1, 2019.)