|§ 671||Vermont Coordinate Systems defined|
|§ 672||Coordinates defined|
|§ 673||Additional definitions|
Terms Used In Vermont Statutes > Title 1 > Chapter 17
- Agency: means the Agency of Transportation. See
- Aircraft: means a contrivance used or designed for navigation of or flight in the air and specifically includes ultralight aircraft. See
- Airman: means an individual:
- Airport: means any area of land or water set aside by the Agency, any political subdivision, or person, except a restricted landing area, which is designed for the landing and take-off of aircraft, and used or to be used in the interest of the general public whether or not facilities are provided for the shelter, servicing, or repair of aircraft, or for receiving or discharging passengers or cargo, and all appurtenant areas used or suitable for airport buildings or other airport facilities, including all appurtenant rights-of-way. See
- articles: include amended and restated articles of incorporation and articles of merger. See
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- Board: means the Transportation Board. See
- board of directors: means the board of directors except that no person or group of persons are the board of directors because of powers delegated to that person or group pursuant to section 8. See
- Corporation: means public benefit and mutual benefit corporation. See
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Directors: means individuals, designated in the articles or bylaws or elected by the incorporators, and their successors and individuals elected or appointed by any other name or title to act as members of the board. See
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Disposal: means the discharge, deposit, injection, dumping, spilling, leaking, emitting, or placing of any solid waste or hazardous waste into or on any land or water so that such solid waste or hazardous waste or any constituent thereof may enter the environment or be emitted into the air or discharged into any ground or surface waters. See
- electronically transmitted: means a process of communication not directly involving the physical transfer of paper that is suitable for the retention, retrieval, and reproduction of information by the recipient. See
- Facility: means all contiguous land, structures, other appurtenances, and improvements on the land, used for treating, storing, or disposing of waste. See
- filing: means filed in the Office of the Secretary of State. See
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Foreign corporation: means a corporation organized under a law other than the law of this State which would be a nonprofit corporation if formed under the laws of this State. See
- Hazardous material: means all petroleum and toxic, corrosive, or other chemicals and related sludge included in any of the following:
- Hazardous waste: means any waste or combination of wastes of a solid, liquid, contained gaseous, or semi-solid form, including those which are toxic, corrosive, ignitable, reactive, strong sensitizers, or which generate pressure through decomposition, heat, or other means, which in the judgment of the Secretary may cause, or contribute to, an increase in mortality or an increase in serious irreversible or incapacitating reversible illness, taking into account the toxicity of such waste, its persistence and degradability in nature, and its potential for assimilation, or concentration in tissue, and other factors that may otherwise cause or contribute to adverse acute or chronic effects on the health of persons or other living organisms, or any matter which may have an unusually destructive effect on water quality if discharged to ground or surface waters of the State. See
- Hazardous waste management: means the systematic and comprehensive management of the generation, storage, transport, treatment, including recycling and recovery, or disposal of hazardous waste materials. See
- Implementation plan: means that plan which is adopted to be consistent with the State solid waste management plan. See
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Mandated recyclable: means the following source separated materials: aluminum and steel cans; aluminum foil and aluminum pie plates; glass bottles and jars from foods and beverages; polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastic bottles or jugs; high density polyethylene (HDPE) plastic bottles and jugs; corrugated cardboard; white and colored paper; newspaper; magazines; catalogues; paper mail and envelopes; boxboard; and paper bags. See
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Municipal solid waste: means combined household, commercial, and industrial waste materials generated in a given area. See
- Municipality: shall include a city, town, town school district, incorporated school or fire district or incorporated village, and all other governmental incorporated units. See
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Person: means an individual, firm, partnership, corporation, company, association, joint stock association, or body politic, including a trustee, receiver, assignee, or other similar representative. See
- Person: includes any individual or entity. See
- Person: means any individual, partnership, company, corporation, association, unincorporated association, joint venture, trust, municipality, the State of Vermont or any agency, department, or subdivision of the State, federal agency, or any other legal or commercial entity. See
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Public aircraft: means aircraft used exclusively in the service of any government, or any political subdivision, but not including any government-owned aircraft engaged in carrying persons or property for commercial purposes. See
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Regional development corporation: means a nonprofit corporation organized in this State whose principal purpose is to promote, organize, or accomplish economic development, including providing planning and resource development services to local communities, supporting existing industry, assisting the growth and development of new and existing small businesses, and attracting industry or commerce to a particular economic region of the State. See
- Regional planning commission: means a planning commission created for a region established under 24 V. See
- Release: means any intentional or unintentional action or omission resulting in the spilling, leaking, pumping, pouring, emitting, emptying, dumping, or disposing of hazardous materials into the surface or groundwaters, or onto the lands in the State, or into waters outside the jurisdiction of the State when damage may result to the public health, lands, waters, or natural resources within the jurisdiction of the State. See
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Natural Resources or his or her duly authorized representative. See
- Secretary: means the corporate officer to whom the board of directors has delegated responsibility under subsection 8. See
- secured lender: includes a person who acquires indicia of ownership by assignment from another secured lender. See
- signature: includes any manual, facsimile, conformed, or electronic signature. See
- Solid waste: means any discarded garbage, refuse, septage, sludge from a waste treatment plant, water supply plant, or pollution control facility and other discarded material, including solid, liquid, semi-solid, or contained gaseous materials resulting from industrial, commercial, mining, or agricultural operations and from community activities but does not include animal manure and absorbent bedding used for soil enrichment; high carbon bulking agents used in composting; or solid or dissolved materials in industrial discharges which are point sources subject to permits under the Water Pollution Control Act, chapter 47 of this title. See
- Storage: means the actual or intended containment of wastes, either on a temporary basis or for a period of years; in such a manner as not to constitute disposal of such wastes. See
- Structure: means any object constructed or installed by man, including buildings, towers, smokestacks, and overhead transmission lines. See
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- transportation: means the movement of wastes by air, rail, highway, or water. See
- Treatment: means any method, technique, or process, including neutralization, designed to change the physical, chemical, or biological character or composition of any hazardous or solid waste, so as to neutralize such waste, or so as to recover energy or material resources from the waste, or so as to render such waste safer for transport, amenable for recovery, amenable for storage, or reduced in volume, or for hazardous wastes, so as to render such waste non-hazardous. See
- Waste: means a material that is discarded or is being accumulated, stored, or physically, chemically, or biologically treated prior to being discarded or has served its original intended use and is normally discarded or is a manufacturing or mining by-product and is normally discarded. See
- Wood waste: means trees, untreated wood, and other natural woody debris, including tree stumps, brush and limbs, root mats, and logs. See