|§ 671||Vermont Coordinate Systems defined|
|§ 672||Coordinates defined|
|§ 673||Additional definitions|
Terms Used In Vermont Statutes > Title 1 > Chapter 17
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Airport manager: means the owner of an airport in this State or an agent authorized to act on behalf of an airport owner. See
- Annual meeting: when applied to towns shall mean the annual town meeting in March or an adjournment thereof. See
- articles: include amended and restated articles of incorporation and articles of merger. See
- Attorney-in-fact: A person who, acting as an agent, is given written authorization by another person to transact business for him (her) out of court.
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- board of directors: means the board of directors except that no person or group of persons are the board of directors because of powers delegated to that person or group pursuant to section 8. See
- Bylaws: means the code or codes of rules (other than the articles) adopted pursuant to this title for the regulation or management of the affairs of the corporation, stored or depicted in any tangible or electronic medium, and irrespective of the name or names by which such rules are designated. See
- Capacity: means that a public water system has the technical, financial, and managerial capabilities to consistently comply with current performance standards, including the requirements of the Safe Drinking Water Act, 42 U. See
- Class: refers to a group of memberships which have the same rights with respect to voting, dissolution, redemption, and transfer. See
- Commercial hauler: means any person that transports:
- Committee on committees: Committees formed in each party conference and responsible for nominating the party's Senators to committee membership and committee leadership positions. Nominations are subject to approval by the full party conference and to a formal vote of the Senate.
- Compost: means a stable humus-like material produced by the controlled biological decomposition of organic matter through active management, but shall not mean sewage, septage, or materials derived from sewage or septage. See
- Conservation: means methods and procedures designed to promote efficient use of water and to minimize waste of water. See
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Corporation: means public benefit and mutual benefit corporation. See
- Delegates: means those persons elected or appointed to vote in a representative assembly for the election of a director or directors or on other matters. See
- delivery: means any method of delivery used in conventional commercial practice, including delivery by hand, mail, commercial delivery, and electronic transmission. See
- Department: means the Department of Environmental Conservation. See
- Directors: means individuals, designated in the articles or bylaws or elected by the incorporators, and their successors and individuals elected or appointed by any other name or title to act as members of the board. See
- Disposal: means the discharge, deposit, injection, dumping, spilling, leaking, emitting, or placing of any solid waste or hazardous waste into or on any land or water so that such solid waste or hazardous waste or any constituent thereof may enter the environment or be emitted into the air or discharged into any ground or surface waters. See
- Drinking water: means noncarbonated water that is intended for human consumption or other consumer uses whether provided by a public water system or in a container, bottle, or package, or in bulk, including water used for production of ice, foodstuffs, or other products designed for human consumption. See
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Entity: includes corporation and foreign corporation; business corporation and foreign business corporation; profit and nonprofit unincorporated association; business trust, estate, partnership, trust, and two or more persons having a joint or common economic interest; and state, United States; and foreign government. See
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Facility: means all contiguous land, structures, other appurtenances, and improvements on the land, used for treating, storing, or disposing of waste. See
- filing: means filed in the Office of the Secretary of State. See
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Hazardous waste: means any waste or combination of wastes of a solid, liquid, contained gaseous, or semi-solid form, including those which are toxic, corrosive, ignitable, reactive, strong sensitizers, or which generate pressure through decomposition, heat, or other means, which in the judgment of the Secretary may cause, or contribute to, an increase in mortality or an increase in serious irreversible or incapacitating reversible illness, taking into account the toxicity of such waste, its persistence and degradability in nature, and its potential for assimilation, or concentration in tissue, and other factors that may otherwise cause or contribute to adverse acute or chronic effects on the health of persons or other living organisms, or any matter which may have an unusually destructive effect on water quality if discharged to ground or surface waters of the State. See
- Implementation plan: means that plan which is adopted to be consistent with the State solid waste management plan. See
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Meeting: means any structured communications conducted by participants in person or through the use of an electronic or telecommunications medium permitting simultaneous or sequentially structured communications. See
- Member: means (without regard to what a person is called in the articles or bylaws) any person or persons who on more than one occasion, pursuant to a provision of a corporation's articles or bylaws, have the right to vote for the election of a director or directors. See
- Membership: refers to the rights and obligations a member or members have pursuant to a corporation's articles, bylaws, and this title. See
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Municipal solid waste: means combined household, commercial, and industrial waste materials generated in a given area. See
- Municipality: shall include a city, town, town school district, incorporated school or fire district or incorporated village, and all other governmental incorporated units. See
- Mutual benefit corporation: means a domestic corporation which is required to be a mutual benefit corporation pursuant to section 17. See
- Person: means any individual, partnership, company, corporation, association, unincorporated association, joint venture, trust, municipality, the State of Vermont or any agency, department, or subdivision of the State, federal agency, or any other legal or commercial entity. See
- Person: includes any individual or entity. See
- Person: means any individual, partnership, company, corporation, cooperative, association, unincorporated association, joint venture, trust, the State of Vermont or any department, agency, subdivision, or municipality, the U. See
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Principal office: means the office (in or outside this State) so designated in the biennial report filed pursuant to section 16. See
- Proceeding: includes civil suit and criminal, administrative, and investigatory action. See
- Proxy voting: The practice of allowing a legislator to cast a vote in committee for an absent legislator.
- Public benefit corporation: means a domestic corporation which is required to be a public benefit corporation pursuant to section 17. See
- Public water source: means any surface water or groundwater supply used as a source of drinking water for a public water system. See
- Public water source protection area: means a surface and subsurface area from or through which contaminants are reasonably likely to reach a public water source. See
- Public water system: means any system, or combination of systems owned or controlled by a person, that provides drinking water through pipes or other constructed conveyances to the public and that:
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Record date: means the date established under chapter 6 or 7 of this title on which a corporation determines the identity of its members for the purposes of this title. See
- road: shall include bridges thereon and their approaches. See
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Natural Resources or his or her duly authorized representative. See
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Natural Resources or the Secretary's designee. See
- Secretary: means the corporate officer to whom the board of directors has delegated responsibility under subsection 8. See
- signature: includes any manual, facsimile, conformed, or electronic signature. See
- Solid waste: means any discarded garbage, refuse, septage, sludge from a waste treatment plant, water supply plant, or pollution control facility and other discarded material, including solid, liquid, semi-solid, or contained gaseous materials resulting from industrial, commercial, mining, or agricultural operations and from community activities but does not include animal manure and absorbent bedding used for soil enrichment; high carbon bulking agents used in composting; or solid or dissolved materials in industrial discharges which are point sources subject to permits under the Water Pollution Control Act, chapter 47 of this title. See
- source separation: means the separation of compostable and recyclable materials from noncompostable, nonrecyclable materials at the point of generation. See
- Storage: means the actual or intended containment of wastes, either on a temporary basis or for a period of years; in such a manner as not to constitute disposal of such wastes. See
- Storage operator: means a person who stores an aircraft or aircraft component at the request of an airport manager. See
- transportation: means the movement of wastes by air, rail, highway, or water. See
- Variable Rate: Having a "variable" rate means that the APR changes from time to time based on fluctuations in an external rate, normally the Prime Rate. This external rate is known as the "index." If the index changes, the variable rate normally changes. Also see Fixed Rate.
- Vote: includes authorization by written ballot and written consent. See
- Voting power: means the total number of votes entitled to be cast for the election of directors at the time the determination of voting power is made, excluding a vote which is contingent upon the happening of a condition or event that has not occurred at the time. See
- Waste: means a material that is discarded or is being accumulated, stored, or physically, chemically, or biologically treated prior to being discarded or has served its original intended use and is normally discarded or is a manufacturing or mining by-product and is normally discarded. See