§ 903. Employees’ rights and duties; prohibited acts
(a) Employees shall have the right to self-organization; to form, join, or assist employee organizations; to bargain collectively through representatives of their own choice, and to engage in concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection, and shall also have the right to refrain from any or all such activities, except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) of this section, and to appeal grievances as provided in this chapter.
(b) A State employee may not strike or recognize a picket line of an employee or labor organization while in the performance of his or her official duties.
Terms Used In Vermont Statutes Title 3 Sec. 903
- Collective bargaining service fee: means a fee deducted by an employer from the salary or wages of an employee who is not a member of an employee organization, which is paid to the employee organization which is the exclusive bargaining agent for the bargaining unit of the employee. See
- Collective bargaining unit: means the employees of an employer, being either all of the employees, the members of a department or agency, or such other unit or units as the Board may determine are most appropriate to best represent the interest of employees. See
- Employee: means a State employee as defined by subdivision (5) of this section except as the context requires otherwise. See
- Employee organization: means an organization of any kind in which employees participate and which exists for the purpose of representing its members, if certified by the Board as an exclusive representative for the purposes of collective bargaining. See
- Employer: means the State of Vermont, excluding the Legislative and Judiciary Departments, represented by the Governor or the Governor's designee, the Office of the Defender General represented by the Defender General or the Defender General's designee, and Vermont State Colleges, represented by the Chancellor or the Chancellor's designee and the University of Vermont, represented by the President or the President's designee. See
- Fees: shall mean earnings due for official services, aside from salaries or per diem compensation. See
- Representatives: includes any individual or individuals certified by the Board to represent employees or employee organizations in collective bargaining or grievance proceedings. See
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States may apply to the District of Columbia and any territory and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. See
- State employee: means any individual employed on a permanent or limited status basis by the State of Vermont, the Vermont State Colleges, or the University of Vermont, including permanent part-time employees, and an individual whose work has ceased as a consequence of, or in connection with, any current labor dispute or because of any unfair labor practice, but excluding an individual:
- Strike: means any concerted stoppage of work by employees, and any concerted slowdown, interference, or interruption of operations or services by employees. See
(c) An employee who exercises the right not to join the employee organization representing the employee’s collective bargaining unit shall pay the collective bargaining service fee to the representative of the bargaining unit in the same manner as employees who pay membership fees to the representative. The employee organization shall indemnify and hold the employer harmless from any and all claims stemming from the implementation or administration of the collective bargaining service fee. Nothing in this section shall require an employer to discharge an employee who does not pay the collective bargaining service fee.
(d) All employers, their officers, agents, and employees or representatives shall exert every reasonable effort to make and maintain agreements concerning matters allowable under section 904 of this title and to settle all disputes, whether arising out of the application of those agreements or growing out of any dispute between the employer and the employees thereof. (Added 1969, No. 113, § 1; amended 1971, No. 193 (Adj. Sess.), § 6; 1993, No. 227 (Adj. Sess.), § 28; 2013, No. 37, § 2.)