A. The Apple Board is continued within the Department. The Apple Board shall consist of six members, with two members representing each district. Each member shall be a citizen of the Commonwealth and engaged in producing apples in the Commonwealth with a majority of his apple production occurring in the district he represents.
Terms Used In Virginia Code 3.2-1201
- Board: means the Board of Agriculture and Consumer Services. See Virginia Code 3.2-100
- Department: means the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. See Virginia Code 3.2-100
- District: means one of the districts set forth in § 3. See Virginia Code 3.2-1200
- Member: means a member of the Apple Board. See Virginia Code 3.2-1200
- Process: includes subpoenas, the summons and complaint in a civil action, and process in statutory actions. See Virginia Code 1-237
- Producer: means any person who, in a calendar year, grows or causes to be grown within the Commonwealth, for sale, a minimum of 5,000 tree run bushels of apples. See Virginia Code 3.2-1200
B. The Commissioner shall hold a special election in each district to elect each member of the Apple Board. The special election shall be held by secret ballot at least 30 days but not more than 90 days before the expiration of the term of office of any member. The Commissioner shall appoint the candidate receiving the highest number of votes in the special election as a member. The Apple Board may adopt and enforce regulations governing the conduct of special elections and voting therein. Such regulations shall be exempt from Article 2 (§ 2.2-4006 et seq.) of the Administrative Process Act. A producer shall be eligible to vote only in the district where the majority of his apple production occurs.