As used in this chapter, unless the context requires a different meaning:
Terms Used In Virginia Code 3.2-1500
- Bale: means a closely pressed package of ginned cotton that weighs approximately 480 pounds. See Virginia Code 3.2-1500
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Cotton: means the field crop of the genus Gossypium grown to be further processed into consumable goods. See Virginia Code 3.2-1500
- Includes: means includes, but not limited to. See Virginia Code 1-218
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: includes any individual, corporation, partnership, association, cooperative, limited liability company, trust, joint venture, government, political subdivision, or any other legal or commercial entity and any successor, representative, agent, agency, or instrumentality thereof. See Virginia Code 1-230
“Assessment” means moneys to be collected as authorized by this chapter.
“Bale” means a closely pressed package of ginned cotton that weighs approximately 480 pounds.
“Cotton” means the field crop of the genus Gossypium grown to be further processed into consumable goods.
“Farming unit” means any sole proprietorship, corporation, or partnership and includes land owned and leased by any such business entity.
“Gin” means to remove seed and foreign matter from cotton and make it into a bale.
“Handler” means a commercial enterprise that gins cotton.
“Producer” means any person who grows, harvests, and sells cotton in Virginia.