The Sheep Industry Board, established by the passage of a referendum held pursuant to Chapter 691 of the 1995 Acts of Assembly, is continued within the Department.
Terms Used In Virginia Code 3.2-2101
- Commissioner: means the Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services. See Virginia Code 3.2-100
- Department: means the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. See Virginia Code 3.2-100
- farm: means any person that obtains at least 51 percent of its annual gross income from agricultural operations and produces the agricultural waste used as feedstock for the waste-to-energy technology, (ii) "agricultural waste" means biomass waste materials capable of decomposition that are produced from the raising of plants and animals during agricultural operations, including animal manures, bedding, plant stalks, hulls, and vegetable matter, and (iii) "waste-to-energy technology" means any technology, including but not limited to a methane digester, that converts agricultural waste into gas, steam, or heat that is used to generate electricity on-site. See Virginia Code 1-222.1
- Locality: means a county, city, or town as the context may require. See Virginia Code 1-221
- Sheep: means sheep or lambs of all ages. See Virginia Code 3.2-2100
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands. See Virginia Code 1-245
The Sheep Industry Board shall consist of 12 members representing the sheep industry and industry support services. The Governor shall appoint 12 individuals from nominations submitted by the Virginia Sheep Producers Association, Virginia sheep and wool marketing organizations, or other Virginia farm organizations representing sheep producers. One member shall represent the packing/processing/retailing segment of the industry, one shall represent the Virginia Livestock Markets Association, and one shall represent the purebred segment of the industry. The remaining nine members shall be appointed by the Governor as follows in accordance with § 3.2-2110, with no more than one member appointed per locality: three members who reside in the Southwest District; three members who reside in the Valley District; two members who reside in the Northern District; and one member who resides in the South Central District. In addition, the extension sheep specialist from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University and the Commissioner shall serve as nonvoting members.
Each association or organization shall submit nominations for each available position before the expiration of the member’s term for which the nomination or recommendation is being provided. If the organizations fail to provide the nominations, the Governor may appoint other nominees that meet the foregoing criteria.