As used in this title unless the context requires otherwise or it is otherwise provided:
Terms Used In Virginia Code 32.1-3
- Commissioner: means the State Health Commissioner. See Virginia Code 32.1-3
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Department: means the State Department of Health. See Virginia Code 32.1-3
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands. See Virginia Code 1-245
- State Board: means the State Board of Health. See Virginia Code 32.1-3
“Board” or “State Board” means the State Board of Health.
“Commissioner” means the State Health Commissioner.
“Department” means the State Department of Health.
“Medical care facility” means any institution, place, building, or agency, whether or not licensed or required to be licensed by the Board or the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services, whether operated for profit or nonprofit, and whether privately owned or privately operated or owned or operated by a local governmental unit, (i) by or in which health services are furnished, conducted, operated, or offered for the prevention, diagnosis, or treatment of human disease, pain, injury, deformity, or physical condition, whether medical or surgical, of two or more nonrelated persons who are injured or physically sick or have mental illness, or for the care of two or more nonrelated persons requiring or receiving medical, surgical, nursing, acute, chronic, convalescent, or long-term care services, or services for individuals with disabilities, or (ii) which is the recipient of reimbursements from third-party health insurance programs or prepaid medical service plans.
The term “medical care facility” does not include any facility of (a) the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services; (b) any nonhospital substance abuse residential treatment program operated by or contracted primarily for the use of a community services board under the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services’ Comprehensive State Plan; (c) an intermediate care facility for individuals with intellectual disability (ICF/IID) that has no more than 12 beds and is in an area identified as in need of residential services for individuals with intellectual disability in any plan of the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services; (d) a physician’s office, except that portion of a physician’s office described in subdivision A 6 of § 32.1-102.1:3; (e) the Wilson Workforce and Rehabilitation Center of the Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services; (f) the Department of Corrections; or (g) the Department of Veterans Services.
“Person” means an individual, corporation, partnership, or association or any other legal entity.
1979, c. 711; 2020, c. 1271.