A. No agent of the Board or agent designated by the Superintendent of the Department of State Police having knowledge by virtue of his office of any prescriptions, papers, records, or stocks of drugs shall divulge such knowledge, except in connection with a criminal investigation authorized by the Attorney General or attorney for the Commonwealth or with a prosecution or proceeding in court or before a regulatory board or officer, to which investigation, prosecution or proceeding the person to whom such prescriptions, papers or records relate is a subject or party. This section shall not be construed to prohibit the Board president or his designee and the Director of the Department of Health Professions from discharging their duties as provided in this title.
Terms Used In Virginia Code 54.1-3406
- Agent: means an authorized person who acts on behalf of or at the direction of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser. See Virginia Code 54.1-3401
- Board: means the Board of Pharmacy. See Virginia Code 54.1-3401
- Compounding: means the combining of two or more ingredients to fabricate such ingredients into a single preparation and includes the mixing, assembling, packaging, or labeling of a drug or device (i) by a pharmacist, or within a permitted pharmacy, pursuant to a valid prescription issued for a medicinal or therapeutic purpose in the context of a bona fide practitioner-patient-pharmacist relationship, or in expectation of receiving a valid prescription based on observed historical patterns of prescribing and dispensing; (ii) by a practitioner of medicine, osteopathy, podiatry, dentistry, or veterinary medicine as an incident to his administering or dispensing, if authorized to dispense, a controlled substance in the course of his professional practice; or (iii) for the purpose of, or as incident to, research, teaching, or chemical analysis and not for sale or for dispensing. See Virginia Code 54.1-3401
- Outsourcing facility: means a facility that is engaged in the compounding of sterile drugs and is currently registered as an outsourcing facility with the U. See Virginia Code 54.1-3401
- Person: means both the plural and singular, as the case demands, and includes an individual, partnership, corporation, association, governmental agency, trust, or other institution or entity. See Virginia Code 54.1-3401
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands. See Virginia Code 2.2-1138
B. Notwithstanding the provisions of § 54.1-2400.2, the Board shall have the authority to submit to the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services information resulting from an inspection or an investigation indicating that a compounding pharmacy or outsourcing facility may be in violation of federal law or regulations with the exception of compounding for office-based administration in accordance with § 54.1-3410.2.
Code 1950, § 54-512; 1970, c. 650; 1983, c. 528, § 54-524.58; 1988, cc. 266, 765; 2015, c. 300.