Terms Used In Washington Code > Chapter 74.20A - Support of dependent children -- Alternative method -- 1971 act
- Account: means a demand deposit account, checking or negotiable withdrawal order account, savings account, time deposit account, or money-market mutual fund account. See Washington Code 74.20A.020
- Administrative order: means any determination, finding, decree, or order for support pursuant to RCW 74. See Washington Code 74.20A.020
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Applicant: means any person who has made a request, or on behalf of whom a request has been made, to any county or local office for assistance. See Washington Code 74.04.005
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- assistance: means public aid to persons in need thereof for any cause, including services, medical care, assistance grants, disbursing orders, work relief, benefits under RCW 74. See Washington Code 74.04.005
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Attorney-in-fact: A person who, acting as an agent, is given written authorization by another person to transact business for him (her) out of court.
- Child support order: means a superior court order or an administrative order. See Washington Code 74.20A.020
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Department: means the state department of social and health services. See Washington Code 74.20A.020
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Dependent child: means any person:
Washington Code 74.20A.020
disposable earnings: means that part of the earnings of any individual remaining after the deduction from those earnings of any amount required by law to be withheld. See Washington Code 74.20A.090 earnings: means compensation paid or payable for personal services, whether denominated as wages, salary, commission, bonus, or otherwise, and, notwithstanding any other provision of law making such payments exempt from garnishment, attachment, or other process to satisfy support obligation, specifically includes periodic payments pursuant to pension or retirement programs, or insurance policies of any type, but does not include payments made under Title 50 RCW, except as provided in RCW 50. See Washington Code 74.20A.090 Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met. Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other. Financial institution: means :
Washington Code 74.20A.020
Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor Income: means :
Washington Code 74.04.005
Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases. License: means a license, certificate, registration, permit, approval, or other similar document issued by a licensing entity to a licensee evidencing admission to or granting authority to engage in a profession, occupation, business, industry, recreational pursuit, or the operation of a motor vehicle. See Washington Code 74.20A.020 Licensee: means any individual holding a license, certificate, registration, permit, approval, or other similar document issued by a licensing entity evidencing admission to or granting authority to engage in a profession, occupation, business, industry, recreational pursuit, or the operation of a motor vehicle. See Washington Code 74.20A.020 Licensing entity: includes any department, board, commission, or other organization authorized to issue, renew, suspend, or revoke a license authorizing an individual to engage in a business, occupation, profession, industry, recreational pursuit, or the operation of a motor vehicle, and includes the Washington state supreme court, to the extent that a rule has been adopted by the court to implement suspension of licenses related to the practice of law. See Washington Code 74.20A.020 Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt. Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants. Need: means the difference between the applicant's or recipient's standards of assistance for himself or herself and the dependent members of his or her family, as measured by the standards of the department, and value of all nonexempt resources and nonexempt income received by or available to the applicant or recipient and the dependent members of his or her family. See Washington Code 74.04.005 Oath: A promise to tell the truth. Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period. person: may be construed to include the United States, this state, or any state or territory, or any public or private corporation or limited liability company, as well as an individual. See Washington Code 1.16.080 Personal property: All property that is not real property. Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents. Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government. Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land. Recipient: means any person receiving assistance and in addition those dependents whose needs are included in the recipient's assistance. See Washington Code 74.04.005 Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant. Responsible parent: means a natural parent, adoptive parent, or stepparent of a dependent child or a person who has signed an affidavit acknowledging paternity which has been filed with the state office of vital statistics. See Washington Code 74.20A.020 Secretary: means the secretary of the department of social and health services, the secretary's designee or authorized representative. See Washington Code 74.20A.020 Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party. Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims. State: means any state or political subdivision, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. See Washington Code 74.20A.020 Statute: A law passed by a legislature. Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights. Stepparent: means the present spouse of the person who is either the mother, father, or adoptive parent of a dependent child, and such status shall exist until terminated as provided for in RCW 26. See Washington Code 74.20A.020 Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony. Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system. Superior court order: means any judgment, decree, or order of the superior court of the state of Washington, or a court of comparable jurisdiction of another state, establishing the existence of a support obligation and ordering payment of a set or determinable amount of support moneys to satisfy the support obligation. See Washington Code 74.20A.020 Support debt: means any delinquent amount of support moneys which is due, owing, and unpaid under a superior court order or an administrative order, a debt for the payment of expenses for the reasonable or necessary care, support, and maintenance, including medical expenses, of a dependent child or other person for whom a support obligation is owed; or a debt under RCW 74. See Washington Code 74.20A.020 Support moneys: means any moneys or in-kind providings paid to satisfy a support obligation whether denominated as child support, spouse support, alimony, maintenance, or any other such moneys intended to satisfy an obligation for support of any person or satisfaction in whole or in part of arrears or delinquency on such an obligation. See Washington Code 74.20A.020 Support obligation: means the obligation to provide for the necessary care, support, and maintenance, including medical expenses, of a dependent child or other person as required by statutes and the common law of this or another state. See Washington Code 74.20A.020