(1) No person except an attending physician may issue a do-not-resuscitate order. An attending physician may issue a do-not-resuscitate order to a patient only if all of the following apply:
Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 154.19
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- in writing: includes any representation of words, letters, symbols or figures. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Qualified: when applied to any person elected or appointed to office, means that such person has done those things which the person was by law required to do before entering upon the duties of the person's office. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
(a) The patient is a qualified patient.
(b) Except as provided in s. 154.225 (2), the patient requests the order.
(bm) Except as provided in s. 154.225 (2), the patient consents to the order after being provided the information specified in sub. (2) (a).
(c) The order is in writing.
(d) Except as provided in s. 154.225 (2), the patient signs the order.
(e) The physician does not know the patient to be pregnant.
(a) The attending physician, or a person directed by the attending physician, shall provide the patient with written information about the resuscitation procedures that the patient has chosen to forego and the methods by which the patient may revoke the do-not-resuscitate order.
(b) After providing the information under par. (a), the attending physician, or the person directed by the attending physician, shall document in the patient’s medical record the medical condition that qualifies the patient for the do-not-resuscitate order, shall make the order in writing and shall do one of the following, as requested by the qualified patient:
1. Affix to the wrist of the patient a do-not-resuscitate bracelet that meets the specifications established under s. 154.27 (1).
2. Provide an order form from a commercial vendor approved by the department under s. 154.27 (2) to permit the patient to order a do-not-resuscitate bracelet from the commercial vendor.
(a) Except as provided in par. (b), emergency medical services practitioners, as defined in s. 256.01 (5), emergency medical responders, as defined in s. 256.01 (4p), and emergency health care facilities personnel shall follow do-not-resuscitate orders. The procedures used in following a do-not-resuscitate order shall be in accordance with any procedures established by the department by rule.
(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply under any of the following conditions:
2. The do-not-resuscitate bracelet appears to have been tampered with or removed.
3. The emergency medical services practitioner, emergency medical responder or member of the emergency health care facility knows that the patient is pregnant.