Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 218.0101
- Attorney-in-fact: A person who, acting as an agent, is given written authorization by another person to transact business for him (her) out of court.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Inter vivos: Transfer of property from one living person to another living person.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Officers: when applied to corporations include directors and trustees. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Personal representative: means a person, however denominated, who is authorized to administer a decedent's estate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
(1) “Agreement” means a contract that describes the franchise relationship between manufacturers, distributors, importers and dealers.
(2) “Autocycle” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (3m).
(3) “Cash price” means the retail seller’s price in dollars for the sale of goods, and the transfer of unqualified title to those goods, upon payment of the retail seller’s price in cash or a cash equivalent.
(4) “Consumer lease” has the meaning given in s. 429.104 (9).
(5) “Designated family member” includes all of the following:
(a) The spouse, child, grandchild, parent, brother or sister of a deceased owner of a dealership who holds an interest in the dealership or who is entitled to receive an interest in the dealership by reason of the owner’s death.
(b) A court-appointed legal representative of an incapacitated owner, including a guardian or conservator.
(c) An owner’s attorney-in-fact under a valid power of attorney.
(d) A court-appointed personal representative or special administrator of a deceased owner’s estate if the deceased owner’s estate holds an interest in the dealership and, if the personal representative or special administrator is a corporate fiduciary, an individual is designated as operator under the franchise agreement.
(e) The trustee of a trust, testamentary or inter vivos, of which an owner was settlor if the trust holds an interest in the dealership and, if the trustee is a corporate fiduciary, an individual is designated as operator under the franchise agreement.
(f) An individual who has been nominated by the operator of a dealership as his or her successor in a written instrument filed with and accepted by the manufacturer, importer or distributor if that individual will hold a legal or beneficial interest in the dealership and is acceptable to the persons who will hold the controlling interest in the dealership.
(6) “Distributor” means a person, resident or nonresident who in whole or part, sells or distributes new motor vehicles to motor vehicle dealers, or who maintains distributor representatives.
(7) “Distributor branch” means a branch office similarly maintained by a distributor for the same purposes.
(8) “Distributor representative” means a representative similarly employed by a distributor or distributor branch.
(9) “Division of hearings and appeals” means the division of hearings and appeals in the department of administration.
(10) “Factory branch” means a branch office maintained by a person who manufactures or assembles motor vehicles, for the sale of motor vehicles to distributors, or for the sale of motor vehicles to motor vehicle dealers or for directing or supervising in whole or part, its representatives.
(11) “Factory representative” means a representative employed by a person who manufactures or assembles motor vehicles or by a factory branch, for the purpose of making or promoting the sale of its motor vehicles, or for supervising or contacting its dealers or prospective dealers.
(12) “Finance charge” has the meaning set forth in s. 421.301 (20).
(13) “Franchise” means the right to buy, sell, distribute or service a line make of motor vehicles that is granted to a motor vehicle dealer or distributor by a manufacturer, importer or distributor.
(13m) “Gross capitalized cost” has the meaning given in s. 429.104 (13m).
(14) “Importer” means a person who has written authorization from a foreign manufacturer of a line make of motor vehicles to grant franchises to motor vehicle dealers or distributors in this state with respect to that line make.
(15) “Lease” or “leasing” means, with respect to a lessor, to enter into or offer to enter into a consumer lease with a lessee.
(16) “Lessee” has the meaning given in s. 429.104 (17).
(17) “Lessor” means a person who leases a motor vehicle to a lessee under a consumer lease, but does not include an assignee of a consumer lease.
(18) “License period” means the period during which a particular type of license described in s. 218.0114 (14) is effective, as established by the department of transportation or division of banking under s. 218.0114 (13) (b) or (d).
(19) “Licensor” means the body, either the division of banking or the department of transportation or both, issuing a license under ss. 218.0101 to 218.0163.
(20) “Manufacturer” means any person, resident or nonresident, who does any of the following:
(a) Manufactures or assembles motor vehicles.
(b) Manufactures or installs on previously assembled truck chassis, special bodies or equipment which when installed form an integral part of the motor vehicle and which constitutes a major manufacturing alteration and which completed unit is owned by the manufacturer.
(21) “Motorcycle” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (32).
(22) “Motor vehicle” means any motor-driven vehicle required to be registered under ch. 341 except mopeds.
(22m) “Motor vehicle buyer” means an individual who is employed by or who has contracted with one or more motor vehicle dealers to bid on or purchase a motor vehicle being held and offered for sale by a motor vehicle dealer or motor vehicle auction.
(a) “Motor vehicle dealer” means any person, firm or corporation, not excluded by par. (b) who:
1. For commission, money or other thing of value, sells, leases, exchanges, buys, offers or attempts to negotiate a sale, consumer lease or exchange of an interest in motor vehicles; or
2. Is engaged wholly or in part in the business of selling or leasing motor vehicles, including motorcycles, whether or not the motor vehicles are owned by that person, firm or corporation.
(b) The term “motor vehicle dealer” does not include:
1. Receivers, trustees, personal representatives, guardians, or other persons appointed by or acting under the judgment or order of any court.
2. Public officers while performing their official duties.
3. Employees of persons, corporations or associations enumerated in subds. 1. and 2., when engaged in the specific performance of their duties as employees of the enumerated persons, corporations or associations.
4. Sales finance companies or other loan agencies who sell or offer for sale motor vehicles repossessed or foreclosed on by those sales finance companies or other loan agencies under terms of an installment contract, or motor vehicles taken in trade on such repossessions.
5. Sales finance companies when engaged in purchasing or otherwise acquiring consumer leases from a motor vehicle dealer, or in renegotiating consumer leases previously purchased or otherwise acquired by them.
(24) “Motor vehicle salesperson” means sales representative, sales manager, general manager or other person who is employed by a motor vehicle dealer for the purpose of selling or approving retail sales, or leasing or approving consumer leases, of motor vehicles. Any motor vehicle salesperson licensed under ss. 218.0101 to 218.0163 shall be licensed to sell or lease for only one dealer at a time.
(25) “Parts outlet” means a facility at which a manufacturer, importer or distributor has authorized the sale of motor vehicle parts or accessories manufactured or distributed by the manufacturer, importer or distributor using a trade name, trademark or service mark also used to designate, make known or distinguish the manufacturer’s, importer’s or distributor’s motor vehicles or dealers.
(26) “Person” means a person, firm, corporation or association.
(27) “Prelease agreement” means an agreement to enter into a consumer lease whereby the motor vehicle will be available and ready to be delivered to the prospective lessee at a later time.
(28) “Prospective lessee” has the meaning given in s. 429.104 (21).
(29) “Prospective lessor” has the meaning given in s. 429.104 (21m).
(30) “Relevant market area” means any of the following:
(a) All of the area within a 10-mile radius of the site of an existing enfranchised motor vehicle dealership.
(b) The area of sales responsibility assigned to the existing enfranchised dealership by the manufacturer, importer, or distributor.
(31) “Retail buyer” means a person, firm or corporation, other than a motor vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer, buying or agreeing to buy one or more motor vehicles from a motor vehicle dealer.
(32) “Retail installment contract” or “installment contract” means and includes every contract to sell one or more motor vehicles at retail, in which the price of the motor vehicle is payable in one or more installments over a period of time and in which the seller has either retained title to the goods or has taken or retained a security interest in the goods under a form of contract designated either as a conditional sale, chattel mortgage or otherwise.
(33) “Retail seller” means a person, firm or corporation selling or agreeing to sell one or more motor vehicles under a retail installment contract to a buyer for the buyer’s personal use or consumption.
(a) “Sales finance company” means any person, firm or corporation engaging in the business, in whole or in part, of acquiring by purchase or by loan on the security thereof, or otherwise, retail installment contracts or consumer leases from retail sellers or lessors in this state.
(b) “Sales finance company” includes any motor vehicle dealer who sells or leases any motor vehicle on an installment contract or consumer lease or acquires any retail installment contracts in the dealer’s retail sales or leases of motor vehicles.
(35) “Secretary” means the secretary of transportation.
(36) “Service outlet” means a facility at which a manufacturer, importer or distributor has authorized the performance of work to rectify a manufacturer’s, importer’s or distributor’s product or warranty defects or delivery and preparation obligations or has authorized the use of a trade name, trademark or service mark also used to designate, make known or distinguish the manufacturer’s, importer’s or distributor’s motor vehicles or dealers in connection with a service facility.
(37) “Special order” means an order against a person.
(a) “Wholesaler” or “wholesale dealer” means a person, other than a licensed motor vehicle dealer or licensed motor vehicle auction dealer, who does any of the following:
1. Sells more than 5 used motor vehicles in any 12-month period to one or more motor vehicle dealers, motor vehicle auction dealers, or salvage dealers.
2. Except as provided in par. (b), purchases used motor vehicles from a motor vehicle dealer or at a motor vehicle auction for the purpose of selling the vehicles to a motor vehicle dealer, motor vehicle auction, or wholesaler.
3. Except as provided in par. (b), purchases used motor vehicles on behalf of a motor vehicle dealer.
(b) A person is not a wholesaler or a wholesale dealer if the person is employed by and receives compensation from only one motor vehicle dealer for services relating to the sale or purchase of motor vehicles and the person conducts all financial transactions involving the sale or purchase of motor vehicles in the name of the motor vehicle dealer that employs him or her, under the supervision of the motor vehicle dealer that employs him or her, and using the motor vehicle dealer’s funds or financial accounts.