Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 341.40
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
(1) Except as to foreign-owned vehicles required by s. 341.07 to be registered in this state, any vehicle that is registered in another jurisdiction is exempt from the laws of this state providing for the registration of the vehicles if all of the following apply:
(a) The vehicle carries a registration plate indicating the registration in the other jurisdiction.
(b) The vehicle is owned by a nonresident.
(c) The jurisdiction in which the vehicle is registered allows vehicles that are registered in Wisconsin to be operated tax free upon its highways under conditions substantially as favorable to residents of Wisconsin as to its own residents.
(d) The vehicle is operated in accordance with rules adopted by the secretary based on the gross weight of the vehicle. The secretary may, by rule, determine the gross weight exemption, giving consideration to reciprocity privileges extended to Wisconsin residents in other jurisdictions.
(1m) Foreign owned or operated vehicles entering Wisconsin to have special equipment or a body constructed or installed or for repair shall be exempt from the registration requirements of this section.
(2) If the owner of any vehicle exempted under sub. (1) or (1m) moves to Wisconsin or if the vehicle is purchased by or leased to a Wisconsin resident, the vehicle immediately becomes subject to the laws of this state providing for the registration of vehicles.