Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 341.405
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
(1) The secretary of transportation, with approval of the governor, shall ratify and do all things necessary to effectuate the international registration plan adopted by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, with such exceptions as are deemed advisable and such changes as are necessary.
(2) In addition to any registration fees under s. 341.25 that are apportioned to this state under the international registration plan, the department shall charge a fee to cover the cost of issuance for each base plate and for each cab card issued under the international registration plan. Registrants for which this state is the base jurisdiction may elect to pay the registration fee apportioned to this state in 4 installments as specified by the department. Registrants shall pay an additional annual fee of not less than $10 for each vehicle under the installment option. The department may require the filing of an adequate bond or letter of credit to secure the payment of fees under the installment plan. Trip permits may be issued for 72-hour periods at a fee of not less than $15, under terms and conditions not inconsistent with the international registration plan.
(2m) The department may register semitrailers under the international registration plan. The department may establish a fee for registration under this subsection based on administrative cost.
(3) Any fee of $2 or less due under this section may be waived by the department.
(a) If the registration of a motor vehicle registered under this section is suspended under s. 341.63 (1) (f), (1m), or (1r), or if an application for registration is refused under s. 341.10 (16) or (17), the motor vehicle may be registered, subject to all applicable requirements and fees, under any applicable provision of this chapter other than this section.
(b) All of the following apply to a person who registers a motor vehicle under another applicable provision of this chapter as described in par. (a):
1. The person is not entitled to credit for any registration fee previously paid to register the motor vehicle under this section.
2. If the motor vehicle’s registration under this section is reinstated after this registration period has expired, in renewing the motor vehicle’s registration under this section the person is entitled to credit for the registration fee paid to register the motor vehicle as described in par. (a), calculated based upon the unused portion of that registration period.
(c) Notwithstanding s. 341.10 (16) and (17), the department may refuse registration of a motor vehicle under this section if the department determines that the motor carrier identified on the motor vehicle’s registration application as the motor carrier responsible for safety of the vehicle is the same or substantially the same business, or that elements of the motor carrier operation are the same or substantially the same business elements, as a motor carrier that has been issued a federal out-of-service order for unsatisfactory safety compliance.
(4) The secretary of transportation, with the approval of the governor and the joint committee on finance, may withdraw from the international registration plan adopted by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators if the secretary deems such action necessary and desirable.