Current as of: 2009
1. Whenever the department, under any law of this state, suspends or revokes the license of any person upon receiving record of a conviction or a forfeiture of bail or revokes the license of any person pursuant to chapter 321J , the department shall also suspend the registration for all motor vehicles registered in the name of the person, except that the department shall not suspend the registration, unless otherwise required by law, if the person has previously given or immediately gives and thereafter maintains proof of financial responsibility with respect to all motor vehicles registered by the person.
2. Such license and registration shall remain suspended or revoked and shall not at any time thereafter be renewed nor shall any license be thereafter issued to such person, nor shall any motor vehicle be thereafter registered in the name of such person until permitted under the motor vehicle laws of this state and not then unless and until the person shall give and thereafter maintain proof of financial responsibility.
3. If a person is not licensed, but by final order or judgment is convicted of or forfeits any bail or collateral deposited to secure an appearance for trial for any offense requiring the suspension or revocation of license, or for operating an unregistered motor vehicle upon the highways, no license shall be thereafter issued to such person and no motor vehicle shall continue to be registered or thereafter be registered in the name of such person until the person shall give and thereafter maintain proof of financial responsibility.
4. An individual applying for a driver’s license following a period of suspension or revocation pursuant to a dispositional order issued under section 232.52, subsection 2 , paragraph "a" , or under section 321.180B , section 321.210, subsection 1 , paragraph "a" , subparagraph (4), or section 321.210A , 321.213A , 321.213B , 321.216B , or 321.513 , following a period of suspension under section 321.194 , or following a period of revocation pursuant to a court order issued under section 901.5, subsection 10 , or under section 321J.2A , is not required to maintain proof of financial responsibility under this section .
5. This section does not apply to a commercial driver’s licensee who is merely disqualified from operating a commercial motor vehicle under section 321.208 if the licensee’s driver’s license is not suspended or revoked.
6. This section does not apply to an individual whose administrative license suspension under section 321.210D has been rescinded and who is otherwise under no obligation to furnish proof of financial responsibility.
7. This section does not apply to an individual whose administrative license revocation has been rescinded under section 321J.13 , and who is otherwise under no obligation to furnish proof of financial responsibility.
8. This section does not apply to an individual whose privilege to operate a motor vehicle has been suspended or revoked when the period of suspension or revocation has ended and the individual provides evidence satisfactory to the department that the individual has established residency in another state. The individual may not apply for an Iowa driver’s license for two years from the effective date of the person’s last suspension or revocation unless proof of financial responsibility is filed with the department, as required by this section .
9. The registration suspension required under this section does not apply to a motor vehicle awarded to an individual under an order entered pursuant to section 598.21 , if all of the following apply:
a . The individual was the co-owner of the motor vehicle with a spouse who is required to file and maintain proof of financial responsibility.
b . The individual is not otherwise required to file and maintain proof of financial responsibility.
c . The individual is not able to obtain title to the motor vehicle in the individual’s sole name due to a lien against the motor vehicle that existed at the time the order was entered pursuant to section 598.21 .
Questions & Answers: Car Insurance
Iowa Laws: Car Insurance