Current as of: 2013
(a) Except as provided in par. (b), a court shall impose under ch. 814 a crime laboratories and drug law enforcement surcharge of $13 if the court imposes a sentence, places a person on probation, or imposes a forfeiture for a violation of state law or for a violation of a municipal or county ordinance.
(b) A court may not impose the crime laboratories and drug law enforcement surcharge under par. (a) for a violation of s. 101.123 (2) or (2m), for a financial responsibility violation under s. 344.62 (2), or for a violation of a state law or municipal or county ordinance involving a nonmoving traffic violation, a violation under s. 343.51 (1m) (b), or a safety belt use violation under s. 347.48 (2m).
(2) If the court under sub. (1) (a) imposes a sentence or forfeiture for multiple offenses or places a person on probation for multiple offenses, a separate crime laboratories and drug law enforcement surcharge shall be imposed under ch. 814 for each separate offense.
(3) Except as provided in sub. (4), after the court determines the amount due under sub. (1) (a), the clerk of the court shall collect and transmit the amount to the county treasurer under s. 59.40 (2) (m). The county treasurer shall then make payment to the secretary of administration under s. 59.25 (3) (f) 2.
(4) If a municipal court imposes a forfeiture, after determining the amount due under sub. (1) (a) the court shall collect and transmit such amount to the treasurer of the county, city, town, or village, and that treasurer shall make payment to the secretary of administration as provided in s. 66.0114 (1) (bm).
(5) If any deposit of bail is made for a noncriminal offense to which sub. (1) (a) applies, the person making the deposit shall also deposit a sufficient amount to include the surcharge under sub. (1) (a) for forfeited bail. If bail is forfeited, the amount of the surcharge under sub. (1) (a) shall be transmitted monthly to the secretary of administration under this section. If bail is returned, the surcharge shall also be returned.
(6) If an inmate in a state prison or a person sentenced to a state prison has not paid the crime laboratories and drug law enforcement surcharge under sub. (1) (a), the department shall assess and collect the amount owed from the inmate's wages or other moneys. Any amount collected shall be transmitted to the secretary of administration.
(7) All moneys collected from crime laboratories and drug law enforcement surcharges under this section shall be deposited by the secretary of administration and used as specified in s. 20.455 (2) (kd) and (Lm).
Questions & Answers: Criminal Law
Wisconsin Laws: Criminal Law
U.S. Code Provisions: Criminal Law