(a) Avoidance of liability; requirements
No person shall be guilty under section 69a of this title if he establishes a guaranty received in good faith signed by and containing the name and address of the person residing in the United States by whom the fur product or fur guaranteed was manufactured or from whom it was received, that said fur product is not misbranded or that said fur product or fur is not falsely advertised or invoiced under the provisions of this subchapter. Such guaranty shall be either (1) a separate guaranty specifically designating the fur product or fur guaranteed, in which case it may be on the invoice or other paper relating to such fur product or fur; or (2) a continuing guaranty filed with the Commission applicable to any fur product or fur handled by a guarantor, in such form as the Commission by rules and regulations may prescribe.
(b) Furnishing false guaranty
Terms Used In 15 USC 69h
- commerce: means commerce between any State, Territory, or possession of the United States, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside thereof. See 15 USC 69
- Commission: means the Federal Trade Commission. See 15 USC 69
- Federal Trade Commission Act: means the Act entitled "An Act to create a Federal Trade Commission, to define its powers and duties, and for other purposes" approved September 26, 1914, as amended [15 U. See 15 USC 69
- fur: means any animal skin or part thereof with hair, fleece, or fur fibers attached thereto, either in its raw or processed state, but shall not include such skins as are to be converted into leather or which in processing shall have the hair, fleece, or fur fiber completely removed. See 15 USC 69
- fur product: means any article of wearing apparel made in whole or in part of fur or used fur. See 15 USC 69
- Guarantor: A party who agrees to be responsible for the payment of another party's debts should that party default. Source: OCC
- invoice: means a written account, memorandum, list, or catalog, which is issued in connection with any commercial dealing in fur products or furs, and describes the particulars of any fur products or furs, transported or delivered to a purchaser, consignee, factor, bailee, correspondent, or agent, or any other person who is engaged in dealing commercially in fur products or furs. See 15 USC 69
- person: means an individual, partnership, corporation, association, business trust, or any organized group of any of the foregoing. See 15 USC 69
- United States: means the several States, the District of Columbia, and the Territories and possessions of the United States. See 15 USC 69
It shall be unlawful for any person to furnish, with respect to any fur product or fur, a false guaranty (except a person relying upon a guaranty to the same effect received in good faith signed by and containing the name and address of the person residing in the United States by whom the fur product or fur guaranteed was manufactured or from whom it was received) with reason to believe the fur product or fur falsely guaranteed may be introduced, sold, transported, or distributed in commerce, and any person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of an unfair method of competition, and an unfair or deceptive act or practice, in commerce within the meaning of the Federal Trade Commission Act [15 U.S.C. 41 et seq.].