(a) None of the provisions of this subchapter shall be construed to apply to–
Terms Used In 15 USC 70j
- Commission: means the Federal Trade Commission. See 15 USC 70
- textile fiber: means a unit of matter which is capable of being spun into a yarn or made into a fabric by bonding or by interlacing in a variety of methods including weaving, knitting, braiding, felting, twisting, or webbing, and which is the basic structural element of textile products. See 15 USC 70
- textile fiber product: means --
(1) any fiber, whether in the finished or unfinished state, used or intended for use in household textile articles. See 15 USC 70
- ultimate consumer: means a person who obtains a textile fiber product by purchase or exchange with no intent to sell or exchange such textile fiber product in any form. See 15 USC 70
(1) upholstery stuffing, except as provided in section 70b(h) of this title;
(2) outer coverings of furniture, mattresses, and box springs;
(3) linings or interlinings incorporated primarily for structural purposes and not for warmth;
(4) filling or padding incorporated primarily for structural purposes and not for warmth;
(5) stiffenings, trimmings, facings, or interfacings;
(6) backings of, and paddings or cushions to be used under, floor coverings;
(7) sewing and handicraft threads;
(8) bandages, surgical dressings, and other textile fiber products, the labeling of which is subject to the requirements of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938, as amended [21 U.S.C. 301 et seq.];
(9) waste materials not intended for use in a textile fiber product;
(10) textile fiber products incorporated in shoes or overshoes or similar outer footwear;
(11) textile fiber products incorporated in headwear, handbags, luggage, brushes, lampshades, or toys, catamenial devices, adhesive tapes and adhesive sheets, cleaning cloths impregnated with chemicals, or diapers.
The exemption provided for any article by paragraph (3) or (4) of this subsection shall not be applicable if any representation as to fiber content of such article is made in any advertisement, label, or other means of identification covered by section 70b of this title.
(b) The Commission may exclude from the provisions of this subchapter other textile fiber products (1) which have an insignificant or inconsequential textile fiber content, or (2) with respect to which the disclosure of textile fiber content is not necessary for the protection of the ultimate consumer.