Upon the certification of the Federal land manager concerned, the Secretary of the Treasury is directed to pay from penalties and fines collected under sections 470ee and 470ff of this title an amount equal to one-half of such penalty or fine, but not to exceed $500, to any person who furnishes information which leads to the finding of a civil violation, or the conviction of criminal violation, with respect to which such penalty or fine was paid. If several persons provided such information, such amount shall be divided among such persons. No officer or employee of the United States or of any State or local government who furnishes information or renders service in the performance of his official duties shall be eligible for payment under this subsection.
Terms Used In 16 USC 470gg
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Federal land manager: means , with respect to any public lands, the Secretary of the department, or the head of any other agency or instrumentality of the United States, having primary management authority over such lands. See 16 USC 470bb
- Indian lands: means lands of Indian tribes, or Indian individuals, which are either held in trust by the United States or subject to a restriction against alienation imposed by the United States, except for any subsurface interests in lands not owned or controlled by an Indian tribe or an Indian individual. See 16 USC 470bb
- Indian tribe: means any Indian tribe, band, nation, or other organized group or community, including any Alaska Native village or regional or village corporation as defined in, or established pursuant to, the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (85 Stat. See 16 USC 470bb
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See 1 USC 1
- person: means an individual, corporation, partnership, trust, institution, association, or any other private entity or any officer, employee, agent, department, or instrumentality of the United States, of any Indian tribe, or of any State or political subdivision thereof. See 16 USC 470bb
- State: means any of the fifty States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands. See 16 USC 470bb
All archaeological resources with respect to which a violation of subsection (a), (b), or (c) of section 470ee of this title occurred and which are in the possession of any person, and all vehicles and equipment of any person which were used in connection with such violation, may be (in the discretion of the court or administrative law judge, as the case may be) subject to forfeiture to the United States upon–
(1) such person’s conviction of such violation under section 470ee of this title,
(2) assessment of a civil penalty against such person under section 470ff of this title with respect to such violation, or
(3) a determination by any court that such archaeological resources, vehicles, or equipment were involved in such violation.
(c) Disposition of penalties collected and items forfeited in cases involving archaeological resources excavated or removed from Indian lands
In cases in which a violation of the prohibition contained in subsection (a), (b), or (c) of section 470ee of this title involve archaeological resources excavated or removed from Indian lands, the Federal land manager or the court, as the case may be, shall provide for the payment to the Indian or Indian tribe involved of all penalties collected pursuant to section 470ff of this title and for the transfer to such Indian or Indian tribe of all items forfeited under this section.