Subject to appropriations provided pursuant to section 9123 of this title, the Director shall pay to each State library administrative agency having a State plan approved under section 9134 of this title the Federal share of the cost of the activities described in the State plan.
(b) Federal share
(1) In general
Terms Used In 20 USC 9133
- Director: means the Director of the Institute appointed under section 9103 of this title. See 20 USC 9101
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- library: includes --
(A) a public library. See 20 USC 9122
- State library administrative agency: means the official agency of a State charged by the law of the State with the extension and development of public library services throughout the State. See 20 USC 9122
- State plan: means the document which gives assurances that the officially designated State library administrative agency has the fiscal and legal authority and capability to administer all aspects of this subchapter, provides assurances for establishing the State's policies, priorities, criteria, and procedures necessary to the implementation of all programs under this subchapter, submits copies for approval as required by regulations promulgated by the Director, identifies a State's library needs, and sets forth the activities to be taken toward meeting the identified needs supported with the assistance of Federal funds made available under this subchapter. See 20 USC 9122
The Federal share shall be 66 percent.
(2) Non-Federal share
The non-Federal share of payments shall be provided from non-Federal, State, or local sources.
(c) Maintenance of effort
(1) State expenditures
(i) In general
The amount otherwise payable to a State for a fiscal year pursuant to an allotment under this part shall be reduced if the level of State expenditures, as described in paragraph (2), for the previous fiscal year is less than the average of the total of such expenditures for the 3 fiscal years preceding that previous fiscal year. The amount of the reduction in the allotment for any fiscal year shall be equal to the allotment multiplied by a fraction–
(I) the numerator of which is the result obtained by subtracting the level of such State expenditures for the fiscal year for which the determination is made, from the average of the total level of such State expenditures for the 3 fiscal years preceding the fiscal year for which the determination is made; and
(II) the denominator of which is the average of the total level of such State expenditures for the 3 fiscal years preceding the fiscal year for which the determination is made.
Any decrease in State expenditures resulting from the application of subparagraph (B) shall be excluded from the calculation of the average level of State expenditures for any 3-year period described in clause (i).
(B) Decrease in Federal support
If the amount made available under this subchapter for a fiscal year is less than the amount made available under this subchapter for the preceding fiscal year, then the expenditures required by subparagraph (A) for such preceding fiscal year shall be decreased by the same percentage as the percentage decrease in the amount so made available.
(2) Level of State expenditures
The level of State expenditures for the purposes of paragraph (1) shall include all State dollars expended by the State library administrative agency for library programs that are consistent with the purposes of this subchapter. All funds included in the maintenance of effort calculation under this subsection shall be expended during the fiscal year for which the determination is made, and shall not include capital expenditures, special one-time project costs, or similar windfalls.
The Director may waive the requirements of paragraph (1) if the Director determines that such a waiver would be equitable due to exceptional or uncontrollable circumstances such as a natural disaster or a precipitous and unforeseen decline in the financial resources of the State.