As used in this chapter:
(1) Determined to be obscene
Terms Used In 20 USC 9101
- Board: means any Regional Marine Research board 1 established pursuant to section 1447b(a) of this title. See 21 USC 360eee-1
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
The term “determined to be obscene” means determined, in a final judgment of a court of record and of competent jurisdiction in the United States, to be obscene.
(2) Digital literacy skills
The term “digital literacy skills” means the skills associated with–
(A) using technology to enable users to find, evaluate, organize, create, and communicate information; and
(B) developing digital citizenship and the responsible use of technology.
The term “Director” means the Director of the Institute appointed under section 9103 of this title.
(4) Final judgment
The term “final judgment” means a judgment that is–
(A) not reviewed by any other court that has authority to review such judgment; or
(B) not reviewable by any other court.
(5) Indian tribe
The term “Indian tribe” means any tribe, band, nation, or other organized group or community, including any Alaska native village, regional corporation, or village corporation (as defined in, or established pursuant to, the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.)), which is recognized as eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States to Indians because of their status as Indians.
The term “Institute” means the Institute of Museum and Library Services established under section 9102 of this title.
(7) Museum and Library Services Board
The term “Museum and Library Services Board” means the National Museum and Library Services Board established under section 9105a of this title.
The term “obscene” means, with respect to a project, that–
(A) the average person, applying contemporary community standards, would find that such project, when taken as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest;
(B) such project depicts or describes sexual conduct in a patently offensive way; and
(C) such project, when taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value.