- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Board: means any Regional Marine Research board 1 established pursuant to section 1447b(a) of this title. See
- Bureau: means the Bureau of the Census. See
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- digital literacy skills: means the skills associated with--
(A) using technology to enable users to find, evaluate, organize, create, and communicate information. See
- Director: means the Director of the Institute appointed under section 9103 of this title. See
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See
- Institute: means the Institute of Museum and Library Services established under section 9102 of this title. See
- library: includes --
(A) a public library. See
- obscene: means , with respect to a project, that--
(A) the average person, applying contemporary community standards, would find that such project, when taken as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest. See
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Interior. See
- State: means a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. See
- State library administrative agency: means the official agency of a State charged by the law of the State with the extension and development of public library services throughout the State. See
- State plan: means the document which gives assurances that the officially designated State library administrative agency has the fiscal and legal authority and capability to administer all aspects of this subchapter, provides assurances for establishing the State's policies, priorities, criteria, and procedures necessary to the implementation of all programs under this subchapter, submits copies for approval as required by regulations promulgated by the Director, identifies a State's library needs, and sets forth the activities to be taken toward meeting the identified needs supported with the assistance of Federal funds made available under this subchapter. See