Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 22 > Chapter 7 - International Bureaus, Congresses, Etc.
- Judgement that a criminal defendant has not been proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
- A verdict of "not guilty."
- Adjournment sine die: The end of a legislative session "without day." These adjournments are used to indicate the final adjournment of an annual or the two-year session of legislature.
- Administrator: means the Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. See 42 USC 4121
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- agency: means an agency as defined in section 552(e) 1 of title 5. See 22 USC 3902
- agency head: means the head of any executive department, military department, agency, or independent establishment in the executive branch of the Government. See 42 USC 1856
- agency of the United States: means the executive branch of the United States, or any Government agency, or the legislative branch of the United States, or any agency, committee, commission, office, or other establishment in the legislative branch, or the judicial branch of the United States, or any office, agency, committee, commission, or other establishment in the judicial branch. See 42 USC 2014
- Aggrieved person: includes any person who--
(1) claims to have been injured by a discriminatory housing practice. See 42 USC 3602
- agreement for cooperation: means any agreement with another nation or regional defense organization authorized or permitted by sections 2074, 2077, 2094, 2112, 2121(c), 2133, 2134, or 2164 of this title, and made pursuant to section 2153 of this title. See 42 USC 2014
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Amortization: Paying off a loan by regular installments.
- annuitant: means any individual, including a former participant or survivor, who meets all requirements for an annuity from the Fund under this chapter or any other Act and who has filed a claim for such annuity. See 22 USC 4044
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- applicant: means :
(A) an educational institution. See 15 USC 5302
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- appraisal: means a written statement independently and impartially prepared by a qualified appraiser setting forth an opinion of defined value of an adequately described property as of a specific date, supported by the presentation and analysis of relevant market information. See 42 USC 4601
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arctic: means all United States and foreign territory north of the Arctic Circle and all United States territory north and west of the boundary formed by the Porcupine, Yukon, and Kuskokwim Rivers. See 15 USC 4111
- Areawide agency: means an official State, metropolitan, regional, or district agency empowered under State or local laws or under an interstate compact or agreement to perform comprehensive planning in an area, an organization of the type referred to in section 701(g) 1 of the Housing Act of 1954. See 42 USC 3338
- Areawide development: means all projects or programs for the acquisition, use, and development of open-space land. See 42 USC 3338
- Areawide development project: means a project assisted or to be assisted under section 702 of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1965 [42 U. See 42 USC 3338
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- association: when used in reference to a corporation, shall be deemed to embrace the words "successors and assigns of such company or association" in like manner as if these last-named words, or words of similar import, were expressed. See 1 USC 5
- atomic energy: means all forms of energy released in the course of nuclear fission or nuclear transformation. See 42 USC 2014
- atomic weapon: means any device utilizing atomic energy, exclusive of the means for transporting or propelling the device (where such means is a separable and divisible part of the device), the principal purpose of which is for use as, or for development of, a weapon, a weapon prototype, or a weapon test device. See 42 USC 2014
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Attorney-in-fact: A person who, acting as an agent, is given written authorization by another person to transact business for him (her) out of court.
- average: means the aggregate number of hours of instruction through the use of a Native American language to all students enrolled in a native language immersion program during a school year divided by the total number of students enrolled in the immersion program. See 42 USC 2992c
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Balanced budget: A budget in which receipts equal outlays.
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Board: means the Board of Directors of the Legal Services Corporation. See 42 USC 2996a
- Budget authority: Authority provided by law to enter into obligations that will result in outlays of Federal funds. Budget authority may be classified by the period of availability (one-year, multiyear, no-year), by the timing of congressional action (current or permanent), or by the manner of determining the amount available (definite or indefinite).
- building: means any building or facility (other than (A) a privately owned residential structure not leased by the Government for subsidized housing programs and (B) any building or facility on a military installation designed and constructed primarily for use by able bodied military personnel) the intended use for which either will require that such building or facility be accessible to the public, or may result in the employment or residence therein of physically handicapped persons, which building or facility is--
(1) to be constructed or altered by or on behalf of the United States. See 42 USC 4151
- Bureau: means the Bureau of the Census. See 13 USC 1
- business: means any lawful activity, excepting a farm operation, conducted primarily--
(A) for the purchase, sale, lease and rental of personal and real property, and for the manufacture, processing, or marketing of products, commodities, or any other personal property. See 42 USC 4601
- byproduct material: means --
(1) any radioactive material (except special nuclear material) yielded in or made radioactive by exposure to the radiation incident to the process of producing or utilizing special nuclear material. See 42 USC 2014
- Capital offense: A crime punishable by death.
- Chairman: means the Chairman of the National Advisory Council on International Monetary and Financial Policies. See 22 USC 262r
- Chief judge: The judge who has primary responsibility for the administration of a court but also decides cases; chief judges are determined by seniority.
- child: means an individual--
(i) is an offspring or adopted child of the participant,
(ii) is a stepchild or recognized natural child of the participant and who received more than one-half support from the participant, or
(iii) lived with the participant, for whom a petition of adoption was filed by the participant, and who is adopted by the surviving spouse of the participant after the death of the participant. See 22 USC 4044
- Civil forfeiture: The loss of ownership of property used to conduct illegal activity.
- Clerk of court: An officer appointed by the court to work with the chief judge in overseeing the court's administration, especially to assist in managing the flow of cases through the court and to maintain court records.
- Commission: means the Atomic Energy Commission, as established by the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended [42 U. See 42 USC 2291
- Commission: means the South Pacific Commission. See 22 USC 280a
- Commission: means the United States-Mexico Border Health Commission. See 22 USC 290n-6
- Commission: means the Atomic Energy Commission. See 42 USC 2014
- Commission: means the Atomic Energy Commission. See 42 USC 2304
- common defense and security: means the common defense and security of the United States. See 42 USC 2014
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Community: means the European Atomic Energy Community (EURATOM). See 42 USC 2291
- community: means that area at--
(1) Oak Ridge, Tennessee, designated on a map on file at the principal office of the Commission, entitled "Minimum Geographic Area, Oak Ridge, Tennessee" bearing the legend "Boundary Line, Minimum Geographic Area, Oak Ridge, Tennessee" and marked "Approved, 21 April 1955, K. See 42 USC 2304
- comparable replacement dwelling: means any dwelling that is (A) decent, safe, and sanitary. See 42 USC 4601
- Complainant: means the person (including the Secretary) who files a complaint under section 3610 of this title. See 42 USC 3602
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Comprehensive planning: includes the following, to the extent directly related to area needs or needs of a unit of general local government: (A) preparation, as a guide for long-range development, of general physical plans with respect to the pattern and intensity of land use and the provision of public facilities, including transportation facilities. See 42 USC 3338
- Conciliation: means the attempted resolution of issues raised by a complaint, or by the investigation of such complaint, through informal negotiations involving the aggrieved person, the respondent, and the Secretary. See 42 USC 3602
- Conciliation agreement: means a written agreement setting forth the resolution of the issues in conciliation. See 42 USC 3602
- Concurrent resolution: A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the President/Governor and thus do not have the force of law.
- Construction: means construction of new buildings, expansion, remodeling, and alteration of existing buildings, and initial equipment of any such buildings (including medical transportation facilities), including architects and engineering fees, but excluding legal fees, the cost of off-site improvements and the cost of the acquisition of land. See 42 USC 2005e
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: means the Legal Services Corporation established under this subchapter. See 42 USC 2996a
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- county: includes a parish, or any other equivalent subdivision of a State or Territory of the United States. See 1 USC 2
- court: means any court of any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, or the Virgin Islands, and any Indian court as defined by section 1301(3) of title 25. See 22 USC 4044
- court order: means any court decree of divorce or annulment, or any court order or court approved property settlement agreement incident to any court decree of divorce or annulment. See 22 USC 4044
- covered entity: means the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and each territory and possession of the United States. See 42 USC 2000bb-2
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- defense information: means any information in any category determined by any Government agency authorized to classify information, as being information respecting, relating to, or affecting the national defense. See 42 USC 2014
- demonstrates: means meets the burdens of going forward with the evidence and of persuasion. See 42 USC 2000bb-2
- Department: means the Department of Energy. See 15 USC 5302
- Department: means the Department of State, except that with reference to the exercise of functions under this chapter with respect to another agency authorized by law to utilize the Foreign Service personnel system, such term means that other agency. See 22 USC 3902
- Department facility: as used in this subchapter means those facilities over which the Department has direct and exclusive administrative jurisdiction, including hospitals or other facilities on property owned or leased by the United States while operated by the Department. See 38 USC 8509
- Department of Energy defense nuclear facility: means any of the following:
(1) A production facility or utilization facility (as defined in section 2014 of this title) that is under the control or jurisdiction of the Secretary of Energy and that is operated for national security purposes, but the term does not include--
(A) any facility or activity covered by Executive Order No. See 42 USC 2286g
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Desegregation: means the assignment of students to public schools and within such schools without regard to their race, color, religion, sex or national origin, but "desegregation" shall not mean the assignment of students to public schools in order to overcome racial imbalance. See 42 USC 2000c
- design: means (1) specifications, plans, drawings, blueprints, and other items of like nature. See 42 USC 2014
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Discriminatory housing practice: means an act that is unlawful under section 3604, 3605, 3606, or 3617 of this title. See 42 USC 3602
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- displaced person: means , except as provided in subparagraph (B)--
(i) any person who moves from real property, or moves his personal property from real property--
(I) as a direct result of a written notice of intent to acquire or the acquisition of such real property in whole or in part for a program or project undertaken by a Federal agency or with Federal financial assistance. See 42 USC 4601
- displacing agency: means any Federal agency carrying out a program or project, and any State, State agency, or person carrying out a program or project with Federal financial assistance, which causes a person to be a displaced person. See 42 USC 4601
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- Documentary materials: as used in this chapter , means materials upon which information is recorded, and includes, but is not limited to, written or printed materials, photographs, motion picture films, negatives, video tapes, audio tapes, and other mechanically, magentically 1 or electronically recorded cards, tapes, or discs, but does not include contraband or the fruits of a crime or things otherwise criminally possessed, or property designed or intended for use, or which is or has been used as, the means of committing a criminal offense. See 42 USC 2000aa-7
- domestic company: means a company which is substantially involved in the United States domestic production, processing, or use of steel, aluminum, copper, or other metals and has a substantial percentage of its operations located within the United States. See 15 USC 5102
- Donee: The recipient of a gift.
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Dwelling: means any building, structure, or portion thereof which is occupied as, or designed or intended for occupancy as, a residence by one or more families, and any vacant land which is offered for sale or lease for the construction or location thereon of any such building, structure, or portion thereof. See 42 USC 3602
- educational institution: means a degree granting institution of at least a baccalaureate level. See 15 USC 5302
- eligible client: means any person financially unable to afford legal assistance. See 42 USC 2996a
- Embezzlement: In most states, embezzlement is defined as theft/larceny of assets (money or property) by a person in a position of trust or responsibility over those assets. Embezzlement typically occurs in the employment and corporate settings. Source: OCC
- Energy Committees: means the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources of the Senate and the Committee on Energy and Commerce of the House of Representatives. See 42 USC 2014
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act: Prohibits creditors from discriminating against credit applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age, or because an applicant receives income from a public assistance program. Source: OCC
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- executive department: means any executive department, agency, or independent establishment of the United States or any corporation wholly owned by the United States. See 42 USC 201
- Executive session: A portion of the Senate's daily session in which it considers executive business.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- exercise of religion: means religious exercise, as defined in section 2000cc-5 of this title. See 42 USC 2000bb-2
- extraordinary nuclear occurrence: means any event causing a discharge or dispersal of source, special nuclear, or byproduct material from its intended place of confinement in amounts offsite, or causing radiation levels offsite, which the Nuclear Regulatory Commission or the Secretary of Energy, as appropriate, determines to be substantial, and which the Nuclear Regulatory Commission or the Secretary of Energy, as appropriate, determines has resulted or will probably result in substantial damages to persons offsite or property offsite. See 42 USC 2014
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: A federal law, established in 1971 and revised in 1997, that gives consumers the right to see their credit records and correct any mistakes. Source: OCC
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act: The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act is a set of United States statutes added as Title VIII of the Consumer Credit Protection Act. Its purpose is to ensure ethical practices in the collection of consumer debts and to provide consumers with an avenue for disputing and obtaining validation of debt information in order to ensure the information's accuracy. It is often used in conjunction with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Source: OCC
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Familial status: means one or more individuals (who have not attained the age of 18 years) being domiciled with--
(1) a parent or another person having legal custody of such individual or individuals. See 42 USC 3602
- Family: includes a single individual. See 42 USC 3602
- farm operation: means any activity conducted solely or primarily for the production of one or more agricultural products or commodities, including timber, for sale or home use, and customarily producing such products or commodities in sufficient quantity to be capable of contributing materially to the operator's support. See 42 USC 4601
- Federal agency: means any department, agency, or instrumentality in the executive branch of the Government, any wholly owned Government corporation, the Architect of the Capitol, the Federal Reserve banks and branches thereof, and any person who has the authority to acquire property by eminent domain under Federal law. See 42 USC 4601
- Federal agency lender: means a Federal agency that makes direct loans secured by improved real estate or a mobile home, to the extent such agency acts in such capacity. See 42 USC 4121
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: A government corporation that insures the deposits of all national and state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Source: OCC
- Federal entity for lending regulation: means the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Comptroller of the Currency, the National Credit Union Administration, and the Farm Credit Administration, and with respect to a particular regulated lending institution means the entity primarily responsible for the supervision of the institution. See 42 USC 4121
- Federal financial assistance: means a grant, loan, or contribution provided by the United States, except any Federal guarantee or insurance, any interest reduction payment to an individual in connection with the purchase and occupancy of a residence by that individual, and any annual payment or capital loan to the District of Columbia. See 42 USC 4601
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- financial assistance: includes assistance advanced by grant, agreement, or contract, but does not include the procurement of plant or equipment, or goods or services. See 42 USC 2992c
- financial protection: means the ability to respond in damages for public liability and to meet the costs of investigating and defending claims and settling suits for such damages. See 42 USC 2014
- fire organization: means any governmental entity or public or private corporation or association maintaining fire protection facilities within the United States, its Territories and possessions, and any governmental entity or public or private corporation or association which maintains fire protection facilities in any foreign country in the vicinity of any installation of the United States. See 42 USC 1856
- fire protection: includes personal services and equipment required for fire prevention, the protection of life and property from fire,,1 fire fighting, and emergency services, including basic medical support, basic and advanced life support, hazardous material containment and confinement, and special rescue events involving vehicular and water mishaps, and trench, building, and confined space extractions. See 42 USC 1856
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Foreign Service: means the Foreign Service of the United States. See 22 USC 3902
- former spouse: means a former wife or husband of a participant or former participant who was married to such participant for not less than 10 years during periods of service by that participant which are creditable under section 4056 of this title. See 22 USC 4044
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Fund: means the Foreign Service Retirement and Disability Fund maintained by the Secretary of the Treasury pursuant to section 4042 of this title. See 22 USC 4071a
- further revised annuity participant: means any individual who--
(A) on December 31, 2013--
(i) is not a participant. See 22 USC 4071a
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- government: includes a branch, department, agency, instrumentality, and official (or other person acting under color of law) of the United States, or of a covered entity. See 42 USC 2000bb-2
- Government: means the Government of the United States. See 22 USC 3902
- Government agency: means any department, independent establishment, or other agency of the Government of the United States, or any corporation wholly owned by the Government of the United States. See 22 USC 280a
- Government agency: means any executive department, commission, independent establishment, corporation, wholly or partly owned by the United States of America which is an instrumentality of the United States, or any board, bureau, division, service, office, officer, authority, administration, or other establishment in the executive branch of the Government. See 42 USC 2014
- Governor: means the chief executive officer of a State. See 42 USC 2996a
- Governors: means the 9 members of the Board of Governors appointed by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, under section 202(a) of this title. See 39 USC 102
- Grantor: The person who establishes a trust and places property into it.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Handicap: means , with respect to a person--
(1) a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of such person's major life activities,
(2) a record of having such an impairment, or
(3) being regarded as having such an impairment,
- hazardous financial condition: means that, based on its present or reasonably anticipated financial condition, a risk retention group is unlikely to be able--
(A) to meet obligations to policyholders with respect to known claims and reasonably anticipated claims. See 15 USC 3901
- Hospital: includes diagnostic or treatment centers and general hospitals, and related facilities, such as laboratories, outpatient departments, nurses' home and training facilities, and central service facilities operated in connection with hospitals, but does not include any hospital furnishing primarily domiciliary care. See 42 USC 2005e
- Hospital: means any public health center or general, tuberculosis, mental, chronic disease, or other type of hospital and related facilities, such as laboratories, outpatient departments, nurses' home and training facilities, and central service facilities normally operated in connection with hospitals, but does not include any hospital furnishing primarily domiciliary care. See 42 USC 3338
- house: includes the lot on which the house stands. See 42 USC 2304
- improved real estate: means real estate upon which a building is located. See 42 USC 4121
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- indemnitor: means (1) any insurer with respect to his obligations under a policy of insurance furnished as proof of financial protection. See 42 USC 2014
- Indian reservation or Alaska Native village: includes the reservation of any federally or State recognized Indian Tribe, including any band, nation, pueblo, or rancheria, any former reservation in Oklahoma, and community under the jurisdiction of an Indian Tribe, including a band, nation, pueblo, or rancheria, with allotted lands or lands subject to a restriction against alienation imposed by the United States or a State, and any lands of or under the jurisdiction of an Alaska Native village or group, including any lands selected by Alaska Natives or Alaska Native organizations under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act [43 U. See 42 USC 2992c
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See 1 USC 8
- industry: means the industries identified by codes numbered 3321, 3322, 3324, 3325, 3363, 3364, 3365, 3366, and 3369, in the Standard Industrial Classification manual 1 published by the Office of Management and Budget in 1987. See 15 USC 5302
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Inspector General: means the Inspector General appointed under section 202(e) of this title. See 39 USC 102
- institution: means any facility or institution--
(A) which is owned, operated, or managed by, or provides services on behalf of any State or political subdivision of a State. See 42 USC 1997
- insurance: means primary insurance, excess insurance, reinsurance, surplus lines insurance, and any other arrangement for shifting and distributing risk which is determined to be insurance under applicable State or Federal law. See 15 USC 3901
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- international arrangement: means any international agreement hereafter approved by the Congress or any treaty during the time such agreement or treaty is in full force and effect, but does not include any agreement for cooperation. See 42 USC 2014
- international financial institutions: means the International Monetary Fund, International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, International Development Association, International Finance Corporation, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, African Development Bank, African Development Fund, Asian Development Bank, Inter-American Development Bank 2 Bank for Economic Cooperation and Development in the Middle East and North Africa,,3 and Inter-American Investment Corporation. See 22 USC 262r
- Interrogatories: Written questions asked by one party of an opposing party, who must answer them in writing under oath; a discovery device in a lawsuit.
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- Joint program: means the cooperative program established by the Community and the United States and carried out in accordance with the provisions of an agreement for cooperation entered into pursuant to the provisions of section 2153 of this title, to bring into operation in the territory of the members of the Community powerplants using nuclear reactors of types selected by the Commission and the Community, having as a goal a total installed capacity of approximately one million kilowatts of electricity by December 31, 1963, except that two reactors may be selected to be in operation by December 31, 1965. See 42 USC 2291
- Joint resolution: A legislative measure which requires the approval of both chambers.
- Judgement: The official decision of a court finally determining the respective rights and claims of the parties to a suit.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Juror: A person who is on the jury.
- lead agency: means the Department of Transportation. See 42 USC 4601
- lead-based paint: means any paint containing more than five-tenths of 1 per centum lead by weight (calculated as lead metal) in the total nonvolatile content of the paint, or the equivalent measure of lead in the dried film of paint already applied, or both. See 42 USC 4841
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Legacy: A gift of property made by will.
- legal assistance: means the provision of any legal services consistent with the purposes and provisions of this subchapter. See 42 USC 2996a
- legal costs: means the costs incurred by a plaintiff or a defendant in initiating, prosecuting, investigating, settling, or defending claims or suits for damage arising under such section. See 42 USC 2014
- lender: means a regulated lending institution or Federal agency lender. See 42 USC 4121
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- licensed activity: means an activity licensed pursuant to this chapter and covered by the provisions of section 2210(a) of this title. See 42 USC 2014
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- local public bodies and agencies: includes public corporate bodies or political subdivisions. See 42 USC 3106
- lump-sum credit: means the compulsory and special contributions to the credit of a participant or former participant in the Fund plus interest on such contributions at 4 percent a year compounded annually to December 31, 1976, and after such date, for a participant who separates from the Service after completing at least 1 year of civilian service and before completing 5 years of such service, at the rate of 3 percent per year to the date of separation (except that interest shall not be paid for a fractional part of a month in the total service or on compulsory and special contributions from an annuitant for recall service or other service performed after the date of separation which forms the basis for annuity). See 22 USC 4044
- Magistrate judges: Judicial officers who assist U.S. district judges in getting cases ready for trial, who may decide some criminal and civil trials when both parties agree to have the case heard by a magistrate judge instead of a judge.
- Majority leader: see Floor Leaders
- marriage: means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word "spouse" refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife. See 1 USC 7
- Metropolitan area: means a standard metropolitan statistical area as established by the Office of Management and Budget, subject however to such modifications and extensions as the Secretary may determine to be appropriate for the purposes of this subchapter. See 42 USC 3338
- military and naval service: means honorable active service--
(A) in the Armed Forces of the United States,
(B) in the Regular or Reserve Corps 1 of the Public Health Service after June 30, 1960, or
(C) as a commissioned officer of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or a predecessor organization, after June 30, 1961,
but does not include service in the National Guard except when ordered to active duty in the service of the United States. See 22 USC 4044
- Minority leader: See Floor Leaders
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- mortgage: means such classes of liens as are commonly given to secure advances on, or the unpaid purchase price of, real property, under the laws of the State in which the real property is located, together with the credit instruments, if any, secured thereby. See 42 USC 4601
- Mortgage loan: A loan made by a lender to a borrower for the financing of real property. Source: OCC
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- multilateral development banks: means the multilateral development institutions other than the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency. See 22 USC 262r
- multilateral development institutions: means the international financial institutions other than the International Monetary Fund. See 22 USC 262r
- municipal installation: includes , without limitation, schools, hospitals, police and fire protection systems, sewerage and refuse disposal plants, water supply and distribution installations, streets and roads, libraries, parks, playgrounds and recreational means, municipal government buildings, other properties suitable for municipal or comparable local public service purposes, and any fixtures, equivalent, or other property appropriate to the operation, maintenance or repair of the foregoing. See 42 USC 2304
- narcotic: means opium and coca leaves and the several alkaloids derived therefrom, the best known of these alkaloids being morphia, heroin, and codeine, obtained from opium, and cocaine derived from the coca plant. See 42 USC 201
- National Credit Union Administration: The federal regulatory agency that charters and supervises federal credit unions. (NCUA also administers the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund, which insures the deposits of federal credit unions.) Source: OCC
- Native Hawaiian: means any individual any of whose ancestors were natives of the area which consists of the Hawaiian Islands prior to 1778. See 42 USC 2992c
- natural and beneficial floodplain functions: means --
(A) the functions associated with the natural or relatively undisturbed floodplain that (i) moderate flooding, retain flood waters, reduce erosion and sedimentation, and mitigate the effect of waves and storm surge from storms, and (ii) reduce flood related damage. See 42 USC 4121
- Nonprofit: means owned or operated by one or more corporations or associations no part of the net earnings of which inures, or may lawfully inure, to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. See 42 USC 2005e
- normal cost: means the entry-age normal cost of the provisions of the System which relate to the Fund, computed by the Secretary of State in accordance with generally accepted actuarial practice and standards (using dynamic assumptions) and expressed as a level percentage of aggregate basic pay. See 22 USC 4071a
- nuclear incident: means any occurrence, including an extraordinary nuclear occurrence, within the United States causing, within or outside the United States, bodily injury, sickness, disease, or death, or loss of or damage to property, or loss of use of property, arising out of or resulting from the radioactive, toxic, explosive, or other hazardous properties of source, special nuclear, or byproduct material: Provided, however, That as the term is used in section 2210(l) of this title, it shall include any such occurrence outside the United States: And provided further, That as the term is used in section 2210(d) of this title, it shall include any such occurrence outside the United States if such occurrence involves source, special nuclear, or byproduct material owned by, and used by or under contract with, the United States: And provided further, That as the term is used in section 2210(c) of this title, it shall include any such occurrence outside both the United States and any other nation if such occurrence arises out of or results from the radioactive, toxic, explosive, or other hazardous properties of source, special nuclear, or byproduct material licensed pursuant to subchapters V, VI, VII, and IX of this division, which is used in connection with the operation of a licensed stationary production or utilization facility or which moves outside the territorial limits of the United States in transit from one person licensed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to another person licensed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. See 42 USC 2014
- oath: includes affirmation, and "sworn" includes affirmed. See 1 USC 1
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- occupant: means a person who, on the date on which the property in question is first offered for sale, is entitled to residential occupancy of the Government-owned house in question, or of a family dwelling unit in such house, in accordance with a lease or license agreement with the Commission or its property-management contractor. See 42 USC 2304
- offering date: means the date the property in question is offered for sale. See 42 USC 2304
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See 1 USC 1
- offsite: means away from "the location" or "the contract location" as defined in the applicable Nuclear Regulatory Commission or the Secretary of Energy, as appropriate, indemnity agreement, entered into pursuant to section 2210 of this title. See 42 USC 2014
- operator: means any individual who manipulates the controls of a utilization or production facility. See 42 USC 2014
- Oral argument: An opportunity for lawyers to summarize their position before the court and also to answer the judges' questions.
- Outlays: Outlays are payments made (generally through the issuance of checks or disbursement of cash) to liquidate obligations. Outlays during a fiscal year may be for payment of obligations incurred in prior years or in the same year.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- participant: means a person who participates in the Foreign Service Pension System. See 22 USC 4071a
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: means an individual, a trust or estate, a partnership, an association, or a corporation. See 42 USC 1997
- Person: includes one or more individuals, corporations, partnerships, associations, labor organizations, legal representatives, mutual companies, joint-stock companies, trusts, unincorporated organizations, trustees, trustees in cases under title 11, receivers, and fiduciaries. See 42 USC 3602
- person: means (1) any individual, corporation, partnership, firm, association, trust, estate, public or private institution, group, Government agency other than the Commission, any State or any political subdivision of, or any political entity within a State, any foreign government or nation or any political subdivision of any such government or nation, or other entity. See 42 USC 2014
- person: includes any individual or group of individuals, corporation, partnership, association, or any other organized group of persons, including State and local governments and agencies thereof. See 42 USC 4121
- person: means any individual, partnership, corporation, or association. See 42 USC 4601
- person indemnified: means (1) with respect to a nuclear incident occurring within the United States or outside the United States as the term is used in section 2210(c) of this title, and with respect to any nuclear incident in connection with the design, development, construction, operation, repair, maintenance, or use of the nuclear ship Savannah, the person with whom an indemnity agreement is executed or who is required to maintain financial protection, and any other person who may be liable for public liability or (2) with respect to any other nuclear incident occurring outside the United States, the person with whom an indemnity agreement is executed and any other person who may be liable for public liability by reason of his activities under any contract with the Secretary of Energy or any project to which indemnification under the provisions of section 2210(d) of this title has been extended or under any subcontract, purchase order, or other agreement, of any tier, under any such contract or project. See 42 USC 2014
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- personal risk liability: means liability for damages because of injury to any person, damage to property, or other loss or damage resulting from any personal, familial, or household responsibilities or activities, rather than from responsibilities or activities referred to in paragraphs (2)(A) and (2)(B). See 15 USC 3901
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- possession: includes , among other possessions, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. See 42 USC 201
- Postal Service: means the United States Postal Service established by section 201 of this title. See 39 USC 102
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- precautionary evacuation: means an evacuation of the public within a specified area near a nuclear facility, or the transportation route in the case of an accident involving transportation of source material, special nuclear material, byproduct material, high-level radioactive waste, spent nuclear fuel, or transuranic waste to or from a production or utilization facility, if the evacuation is--
(1) the result of any event that is not classified as a nuclear incident but that poses imminent danger of bodily injury or property damage from the radiological properties of source material, special nuclear material, byproduct material, high-level radioactive waste, spent nuclear fuel, or transuranic waste, and causes an evacuation. See 42 USC 2014
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Private law: A private bill enacted into law. Private laws have restricted applicability, often addressing immigration and naturalization issues affecting individuals.
- Probate: Proving a will
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- produce: when used in relation to special nuclear material, means (1) to manufacture, make, produce, or refine special nuclear material. See 42 USC 2014
- product: means a postal service with a distinct cost or market characteristic for which a rate or rates are, or may reasonably be, applied. See 39 USC 102
- production facility: means (1) any equipment or device determined by rule of the Commission to be capable of the production of special nuclear material in such quantity as to be of significance to the common defense and security, or in such manner as to affect the health and safety of the public. See 42 USC 2014
- project area: means that area which on August 4, 1955, constitutes the Federal area at Oak Ridge, Tennessee, or Hanford, Washington, or that area which, on the date Los Alamos is included within this chapter, constitutes the County of Los Alamos, New Mexico, excluding therefrom, however, that land which is, on said date, under the administrative control of the National Park Service of the Department of the Interior. See 42 USC 2304
- project-connected person: means any person who, on the first offering date, is regularly employed at the project area in one of the following capacities:
(1) An officer or employee of the Commission or any of its contractors or subcontractors, or of the United States or any agency thereof (including members of the Armed Forces), or of a State or political subdivision or agency thereof. See 42 USC 2304
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Public debt: Cumulative amounts borrowed by the Treasury Department or the Federal Financing Bank from the public or from another fund or account. The public debt does not include agency debt (amounts borrowed by other agencies of the Federal Government). The total public debt is subject to a statutory limit.
- Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters.
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- public liability: means any legal liability arising out of or resulting from a nuclear incident or precautionary evacuation (including all reasonable additional costs incurred by a State, or a political subdivision of a State, in the course of responding to a nuclear incident or a precautionary evacuation), except: (i) claims under State or Federal workmen's compensation acts of employees of persons indemnified who are employed at the site of and in connection with the activity where the nuclear incident occurs. See 42 USC 2014
- Public school: means any elementary or secondary educational institution, and "public college" means any institution of higher education or any technical or vocational school above the secondary school level, provided that such public school or public college is operated by a State, subdivision of a State, or governmental agency within a State, or operated wholly or predominantly from or through the use of governmental funds or property, or funds or property derived from a governmental source. See 42 USC 2000c
- purchasing group: means any group which--
(A) has as one of its purposes the purchase of liability insurance on a group basis. See 15 USC 3901
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Ranking minority member: The highest ranking (and usually longest serving) minority member of a committee or subcommittee.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Recess: A temporary interruption of the legislative business.
- recipient: means any grantee, contractee, or recipient of financial assistance described in clause (A) of section 2996e(a)(1) of this title. See 42 USC 2996a
- Recourse: An arrangement in which a bank retains, in form or in substance, any credit risk directly or indirectly associated with an asset it has sold (in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles) that exceeds a pro rata share of the bank's claim on the asset. If a bank has no claim on an asset it has sold, then the retention of any credit risk is recourse. Source: FDIC
- regulated lending institution: means any bank, savings and loan association, credit union, farm credit bank, Federal land bank association, production credit association, or similar institution subject to the supervision of a Federal entity for lending regulation. See 42 USC 4121
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Remand: When an appellate court sends a case back to a lower court for further proceedings.
- repetitive loss structure: means a structure covered by a contract for flood insurance that--
(A) has incurred flood-related damage on 2 occasions, in which the cost of repair, on the average, equaled or exceeded 25 percent of the value of the structure at the time of each such flood event. See 42 USC 4121
- Rescission: The cancellation of budget authority previously provided by Congress. The Impoundment Control Act of 1974 specifies that the President may propose to Congress that funds be rescinded. If both Houses have not approved a rescission proposal (by passing legislation) within 45 days of continuous session, any funds being withheld must be made available for obligation.
- research and development: means (1) theoretical analysis, exploration, or experimentation. See 42 USC 2014
- research plan: means the Steel Initiative Research Plan issued in April 1988 by the Department of Energy, and updates to that plan. See 15 USC 5102
- residential property: shall include each separate unit of a residential structure which the Commission has classified as a residential structure containing two or more separate single family units pursuant to section 2331(c) of this title. See 42 USC 2304
- Respondent: means --
(1) the person or other entity accused in a complaint of an unfair housing practice. See 42 USC 3602
- respondent: includes a corporation, company, association, firm, partnership, proprietorship, society, joint stock company, individual, or other organization or entity which reported information, or on behalf of which information was reported, in response to a questionnaire, inquiry, or other request of the Bureau. See 13 USC 1
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Restricted Data: means all data concerning (1) design, manufacture, or utilization of atomic weapons. See 42 USC 2014
- revised annuity participant: means any individual who--
(A) on December 31, 2012--
(i) is not a participant. See 22 USC 4071a
- risk retention group: means any corporation or other limited liability association--
(A) whose primary activity consists of assuming, and spreading all, or any portion, of the liability exposure of its group members. See 15 USC 3901
- rule: has the meaning given it in section 551(4) of title 5, as amended from time to time. See 42 USC 2992c
- School board: means any agency or agencies which administer a system of one or more public schools and any other agency which is responsible for the assignment of students to or within such system. See 42 USC 2000c
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Education. See 42 USC 2000c
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Energy. See 15 USC 5102
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Health and Human Services. See 42 USC 2992c
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Energy. See 15 USC 5302
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Health and Human Services. See 42 USC 201
- Secretary: means the Secretary of State. See 22 USC 280a
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Health and Human Services. See 22 USC 290n-6
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. See 42 USC 3338
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. See 42 USC 3602
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Commerce. See 13 USC 1
- Secretary: means the Secretary of State, except that (subject to section 3921 of this title) with reference to the exercise of functions under this Act with respect to any agency authorized by law to utilize the Foreign Service personnel system, such term means the head of that agency. See 22 USC 3902
- Service: means the Public Health Service. See 42 USC 201
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- servicer: means the person responsible for receiving any scheduled periodic payments from a borrower pursuant to the terms of a loan, including amounts for taxes, insurance premiums, and other charges with respect to the property securing the loan, and making the payments of principal and interest and such other payments with respect to the amounts received from the borrower as may be required pursuant to the terms of the loan. See 42 USC 4121
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- single family: when used in connection with "house" or "residential property" shall include each separate unit of a residential structure which the Commission has classified as a residential structure containing two or more separate single family units pursuant to section 2331(c) of this title. See 42 USC 2304
- source material: means (1) uranium, thorium, or any other material which is determined by the Commission pursuant to the provisions of section 2091 of this title to be source material. See 42 USC 2014
- special agent: means an employee of the Department of State with a primary skill code of 2501--
(A) the duties of whose position--
(i) are primarily--
(I) the investigation, apprehension, or detention of individuals suspected or convicted of offenses against the criminal laws of the United States. See 22 USC 4044
- special nuclear material: means (1) plutonium, uranium enriched in the isotope 233 or in the isotope 235, and any other material which the Commission, pursuant to the provisions of section 2071 of this title, determines to be special nuclear material, but does not include source material. See 42 USC 2014
- Special purpose unit of local government: means any special district, public-purpose corporation, or other limited-purpose political subdivision of a State, but shall not include a school district. See 42 USC 3338
- spousal agreement: means any written agreement between--
(A) a participant or former participant. See 22 USC 4044
- staff attorney: means an attorney who receives more than one-half of his annual professional income from a recipient organized solely for the provision of legal assistance to eligible clients under this subchapter. See 42 USC 2996a
- State: shall include the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. See
- State: means any of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any of the territories and possessions of the United States. See 42 USC 1997
- State: means any State of the United States or the District of Columbia. See 15 USC 3901
- State: includes , in addition to the several States, only the District of Columbia, Guam, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. See 42 USC 201
- State: means any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and any other territory or possession of the United States. See 42 USC 2996a
- State: means any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, any territory or possession of the United States, or an agency or instrumentality of any of the foregoing. See 42 USC 3338
- State: means any of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any of the territories and possessions of the United States. See 42 USC 3602
- State: means the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the territories and possessions of the United States. See 42 USC 3106
- State: includes the several States, the District of Columbia, the territories and possessions, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. See 42 USC 4121
- State: means any of the several States of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, any territory or possession of the United States, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and any political subdivision thereof. See 42 USC 4601
- State agency: means any department, agency, or instrumentality of a State or of a political subdivision of a State, any department, agency, or instrumentality of 2 or more States or of 2 or more political subdivisions of a State or States, and any person who has the authority to acquire property by eminent domain under State law. See 42 USC 4601
- State mental health authority: means the State health authority, except that, in the case of any State in which there is a single State agency, other than the State health authority, charged with responsibility for administering the mental health program of the State, it means such other State agency. See 42 USC 201
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- subscription: includes a mark when the person making the same intended it as such. See 1 USC 1
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- supplemental liability: means the estimated excess of--
(A) the actuarial present value of all future benefits payable from the Fund under this part based on the service of participants or former participants, over
(B) the sum of--
(i) the actuarial present value of (I) deductions to be withheld from the future basic pay of participants pursuant to section 4071e of this title and (II) contributions for past civilian and military service. See 22 USC 4071a
- Surgeon General: means the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service. See 42 USC 201
- surviving spouse: means the surviving wife or husband of a participant or annuitant who was married to the participant or annuitant for at least 9 months immediately preceding his or her death or is a parent of a child born of the marriage, except that the requirement for at least 9 months of marriage shall be deemed satisfied in any case in which the participant or annuitant dies within the applicable 9-month period, if--
(A) the death of such participant or annuitant was accidental. See 22 USC 4044
- System: means the Foreign Service Pension System. See 22 USC 4071a
- temporary: shall be construed to mean not in excess of one year, or not in excess of the specific period during which appropriations are available for the conduct of a particular census, whichever is longer. See 13 USC 24
- Temporary restraining order: Prohibits a person from an action that is likely to cause irreparable harm. This differs from an injunction in that it may be granted immediately, without notice to the opposing party, and without a hearing. It is intended to last only until a hearing can be held.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- transuranic waste: means material contaminated with elements that have an atomic number greater than 92, including neptunium, plutonium, americium, and curium, and that are in concentrations greater than 10 nanocuries per gram, or in such other concentrations as the Nuclear Regulatory Commission may prescribe to protect the public health and safety. See 42 USC 2014
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Truth in Lending Act: The Truth in Lending Act is a federal law that requires lenders to provide standardized information so that borrowers can compare loan terms. In general, lenders must provide information on Source: OCC
- unfunded liability: means the estimated excess of the present value of all benefits payable from the Fund under this part over the sum of--
(A) the present value of deductions to be withheld from the future basic salary of participants and of future agency contributions to be made on their behalf, plus
(B) the present value of Government payments to the Fund under section 4061 of this title, plus
(C) the Fund balance as of the date the unfunded liability is determined. See 22 USC 4044
- uniformed service: means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Public Health Service, or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. See 42 USC 201
- Unit of general local government: means any city, county, town, parish, village, or other general-purpose political subdivision of a State. See 42 USC 3338
- United States: when used in a geographical sense includes all territories and possessions of the United States, the Canal Zone and Puerto Rico. See 42 USC 2014
- United States: when used in a geographic sense, means the several States and the District of Columbia. See 22 USC 3902
- United States-Mexico Border Area: means the area located in the United States and Mexico within 100 kilometers of the border between the United States and Mexico. See 22 USC 290n-6
- User fees: Fees charged to users of goods or services provided by the government. In levying or authorizing these fees, the legislature determines whether the revenue should go into the treasury or should be available to the agency providing the goods or services.
- utility: means any electrical distribution system, any natural gas distribution system, any public transportation system, or any public communication system, and any fixtures, equipment, or other property appropriate to the operation, maintenance or repair of the foregoing. See 42 USC 2304
- utilization facility: means (1) any equipment or device, except an atomic weapon, determined by rule of the Commission to be capable of making use of special nuclear material in such quantity as to be of significance to the common defense and security, or in such manner as to affect the health and safety of the public, or peculiarly adapted for making use of atomic energy in such quantity as to be of significance to the common defense and security, or in such manner as to affect the health and safety of the public. See 42 USC 2014
- vehicle: includes every description of carriage or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on land. See 1 USC 4
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.
- vessel: includes every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water. See 1 USC 3
- Veto: The procedure established under the Constitution by which the President/Governor refuses to approve a bill or joint resolution and thus prevents its enactment into law. A regular veto occurs when the President/Governor returns the legislation to the house in which it originated. The President/Governor usually returns a vetoed bill with a message indicating his reasons for rejecting the measure. In Congress, the veto can be overridden only by a two-thirds vote in both the Senate and the House.
- whoever: include corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals. See 1 USC 1
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.
- writing: includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise. See 1 USC 1