The following definitions apply in this article only unless the context otherwise requires:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 13A-10-1
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidence of debt, deeds and conveyances. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
(1) FIREMAN. Any officer of a fire department, a member of a volunteer fire department, or any other person vested by law with the duty to extinguish fires.
(2) GOVERNMENT. The state, county, municipality, or other political subdivision thereof, including public county and city boards of education, the youth services department district, the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind, and all educational institutions under the auspices of the State Board of Education.
(3) GOVERNMENTAL FUNCTION. Any activity which a public servant is legally authorized to undertake on behalf of a government or the fire control activities of a member of a volunteer fire department.
(4) GOVERNMENTAL RECORD. Any record, paper, document, or thing belonging to, or received or kept by, the government for information or record, or required by law to be kept by others for information of the government. Any educational attendance, membership, or financial report, or a student’s school transcript.
(5) PEACE OFFICER. Any public servant vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for crime, whether that duty extends to all crimes or is limited to specific crimes.
(6) PROPERTY. Any real or personal property, including books, records, and documents.
(7) PUBLIC SERVANT. Any officer or employee of government, including legislators and judges and any person or agency participating as an adviser, consultant, or otherwise in performing a governmental function.