(a) The Legislature finds and declares all of the following:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 16-6D-3. Legislative findings and intent
(1) To further the goals of public education throughout the state, each school system should be able to have maximum possible flexibility to meet the needs of students and the communities within its jurisdiction.
(2) There is a critical need for innovative models of public education that are tailored to the unique circumstances and needs of the students in all schools and communities, and especially in schools and communities that are struggling to improve academic outcomes and close the achievement gap.
(3) To better serve students and better use available resources, local boards of education, local school systems, and parents need the ability to explore flexible alternatives in an effort to be more efficient and effective in providing operational and programmatic services.
(b) Therefore, it is the intent of the Legislature to do all of the following:
(1) Allow school systems greater flexibility in meeting the educational needs of a diverse student population.
(2) Improve educational performance through greater individual school autonomy and managerial flexibility with regard to programs and budgetary matters.
(3) Encourage innovation in education by providing local school systems and school administrators with greater control over decisions including, but not limited to, budgetary matters, staffing, personnel, scheduling, and educational programming, including curriculum and instruction.
(4) Provide financial assistance through an income tax credit to a parent who transfers a student from a failing public school to a nonfailing public school or nonpublic school of the parent’s choice.