Sec. 1. ELECTIONS FOR COUNTY SCHOOL TRUSTEES IN CERTAIN COUNTIES. This Act applies to the elections for county school trustees in all counties having a population of 3.3 million or more.
Terms Used In Texas Vernon's Civil Statutes 2676c
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Person: includes corporation, organization, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, and any other legal entity. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Population: means the population shown by the most recent federal decennial census. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Written: includes any representation of words, letters, symbols, or figures. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Year: means 12 consecutive months. See Texas Government Code 311.005
Sec. 2. DATE OF ELECTION. The election for county school trustees shall be held on the first Saturday in April of each odd-numbered year, or on the first Saturday in October of those years as designated by the order of the board of county school trustees.
Sec. 3. ORDER FOR ELECTION. The order for election shall be made by the board of county school trustees at least 30 days before the date the election is to be held, and shall define the voting precincts and name the judges of election.
Sec. 4. NOTICE OF ELECTION. The board of county school trustees shall give notice of an election by posting a notice in each of three public places in the county, one of which shall be at the courthouse door, or by publishing a notice more than 20 days before the date of the election at least once in a newspaper of general circulation in the county, or by both publication and posting.
Sec. 5. ELECTION OFFICERS. So far as possible, the board of county school trustees shall designate the election officers holding the election for local trustees in each of the school districts in the county as the officers to hold the election for county school trustees.
Sec. 6. EXPENSES OF HOLDING AN ELECTION. All expenses of holding an election shall be paid out of the administration funds under the jurisdiction of the board of county school trustees.
Sec. 7. DECLARATION OF ELECTION RESULTS. The officers holding an election shall report the returns of the election to the secretary of the board of county school trustees at his office in the courthouse in the county seat immediately after the election is held. The board of county school trustees shall declare the results of an election within 10 days after the holding of an election.
Sec. 8. CANDIDATE FOR COUNTY SCHOOL TRUSTEE; APPLICATION; ELIGIBILITY. (a) Any person desiring to have his name printed on the ballot as a candidate for the office of county school trustee shall file his written application with the secretary of the board of county school trustees at least 15 days before the date of the election.
(b) No person is eligible to be a candidate unless he is a qualified elector in the State of Texas.