For purposes of this chapter, the following words shall have the meanings ascribed, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 26-19-1
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
(1) ACMEC. The Alabama Center for Missing and Exploited Children created by this chapter within the department.
(2) CJIC. The Criminal Justice Information Center of the state.
(3) DEPARTMENT. The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency.
(4) LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES. Federal, state and local law enforcement agencies of this state primarily, and of other states generally.
(5) MISSING CHILD. A child whose whereabouts are unknown to the child’s legal custodian, the circumstances of whose absence indicate that:
a. The child did not voluntarily leave the care and control of the custodian, and the taking of the child was not authorized by law; or
b. The child voluntarily left the care and control of the child’s legal custodian without the custodian’s consent and without intent to return.
(6) MISSING PERSON. A person 18 years old or older whose disappearance is possibly not voluntary.
(7) NCIC. The National Crime Information Center and its computer system of reported missing persons and unidentified deceased persons maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
(8) SECRETARY. The Secretary of the Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency.