As used in this division the following terms have the following meanings:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 35-11-450
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- real property: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
(1) BROKER. A broker as defined in Section 34-27-2.
(2) CLIENT. A person or entity having an interest in commercial real estate that has entered into a written brokerage or agency agreement with a real estate broker relative to the commercial real estate.
(3) COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE. Any real estate including real estate classified as agricultural for tax assessment purposes other than real estate containing one to four residential units. Commercial real estate does not include single-family residential units such as condominiums, townhomes, mobile homes, residential lots, or homes in a subdivision when sold, leased, or otherwise conveyed on a unit-by-unit basis even though these units may be part of a larger building or parcel or real estate containing more than four residential units. For all purposes of this division, commercial real estate does not include, and this division shall not apply to, and no lien shall arise under this division against, any property or any interest therein, which is sold, leased, or otherwise conveyed to a governmental entity or to a utility, or to any subsidiary or affiliate thereof.
(4) CONVEYANCE. A sale, lease, or other transfer of commercial real estate.
(5) REAL ESTATE. Real property as defined in subdivision (7) of Section 1-1-1.