Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 32 > Article 28 - Liens On Real Property
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- broker company: has the meaning set forth in IC 25-34. See Indiana Code 32-28-12.5-0.5
- commercial real estate: means any real estate other than:
Indiana Code 32-28-12.5-1
- common expenses: means :
Indiana Code 32-28-14-1
- common law lien: means a lien against real or personal property that is not:
Indiana Code 32-28-13-1
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- fees or commissions: means compensation owed to a broker company for performing services requiring a license under IC 25-34. See Indiana Code 32-28-12.5-2
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Grantor: The person who establishes a trust and places property into it.
- homeowners association: means all the owners of real estate in a subdivision acting as an entity in accordance with any:
Indiana Code 32-28-14-2
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- managing broker: has the meaning set forth in IC 25-34. See Indiana Code 32-28-12.5-3
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Mortgagor: The person who pledges property to a creditor as collateral for a loan and who receives the money.
- Personal property: includes goods, chattels, evidences of debt, and things in action. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- property owner: means the owner of record of real or personal property. See Indiana Code 32-28-13-2
- public employee: means an individual who is an employee in the executive, judicial, or legislative branch of:
Indiana Code 32-28-13-1.5
- public official: means an individual who holds office or formerly held office at any time during the preceding four (4) years in the executive, judicial, or legislative branch of:
Indiana Code 32-28-13-3
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- real estate: has the meaning set forth in IC 25-34. See Indiana Code 32-28-12.5-4
- real estate: means a right, a title, or an interest in real property. See Indiana Code 32-28-14-3
- Revolving credit: A credit agreement (typically a credit card) that allows a customer to borrow against a preapproved credit line when purchasing goods and services. The borrower is only billed for the amount that is actually borrowed plus any interest due. (Also called a charge account or open-end credit.) Source: OCC
- strip mine: means a tract of land on which the surface soil has been removed or is being removed or is proposed to be removed from the coal seam by one (1) group of operating machines or machinery and where mine run coal is being produced in the raw state ready for direct sale to a consumer or for transportation to a cleaning or preparation plant. See Indiana Code 32-28-10-1
- subdivision: means the division of a parcel of land into lots, parcels, tracts, units, or interests in the manner defined and prescribed by a subdivision control ordinance adopted by a legislative body under IC 36-7-4. See Indiana Code 32-28-14-4
- Uphold: The decision of an appellate court not to reverse a lower court decision.