(a) Any item purchased shall be held in the same shape and form as receipted for in the dealer‘s custody for 15 business days after delivering the list to the local law enforcement agency as required under this chapter.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 8-34-4
- dealer: Any person, corporation, or partnership that engages in the business of purchasing precious items for the purpose of reselling such items in any form. See Alabama Code 41-9-80
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY: The chief of police for businesses located within the jurisdiction of a municipality and the county sheriff for businesses located outside the jurisdiction of a municipality. See Alabama Code 41-9-80
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- purchase: The acquisition of a precious item or items for a consideration of cash, goods, or another precious item. See Alabama Code 41-9-80
(b) Payment to the seller shall be by check only, made payable to a named actual intended seller.
(c) It is presumptive evidence of intent to violate this chapter if the items purchased are not listed or fail to agree with the description contained in the required list.
(d) On notification by a law enforcement agency or district attorney’s office that the items purchased are the fruits of a crime, the dealer may not dispose of those items.
(e) A dealer may not purchase items from any person under 18 years of age unless the person is accompanied by a parent or guardian who shall submit identification as required under this chapter.