|Article 1||General Provisions||38-12-1 – 38-12-5|
|Article 2||Alabama Kinship Guardian Subsidy Act||38-12-30 – 38-12-41|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 38 > Chapter 12
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- caregiver: An individual 21 years of age or older, other than a child's parent, legal guardian, or legal custodian who is an approved foster parent, who is a relative of the child, and who has been providing care and support for the child while the child has been residing in the caregiver's home for at least the last six consecutive months while in the legal custody of the Department of Human Resources, a designated official for a child-placing agency, or a successor guardian. See Alabama Code 38-12-32
- child: An individual under 18 years of age who is in foster care with the caregiver and over whom a court has exercised continuing jurisdiction. See Alabama Code 38-12-32
- court: The juvenile court. See Alabama Code 38-12-32
- department: The Department of Human Resources. See Alabama Code 38-12-32
- department: State Department of Human Resources. See Alabama Code 38-12-1
- entity: A domestic or foreign organization. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- FOREIGN ENTITY: An entity governed as to its internal affairs by the laws of a jurisdiction other than this state. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- FOSTER PARENT: Any person with whom a child in the care, custody, or guardianship of the department, is placed for temporary or long-term care, but shall not include any person with whom a child is placed for the purpose of adoption. See Alabama Code 38-12-1
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- GOVERNING PERSON: A person serving as part of the governing authority of an entity. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- KINSHIP GUARDIAN: A caregiver who is willing to assume care of a child because of parental incapacity of a parent, legal guardian, legal custodian, or other dependency reason, with the intent to raise the child to adulthood, and who is appointed the kinship guardian of the child by a juvenile court. See Alabama Code 38-12-32
- LABOR SERVITUDE: Work or service of economic or financial value which is performed or provided by another person and is induced or obtained by coercion or deception. See Alabama Code 13A-6-151
- law: Unless the context requires otherwise, both statutory and common law. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- organizer: A person, who need not be an owner or member of the entity, who, having the capacity to contract, is authorized to execute documents in connection with the formation of the entity. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- PARENTAL INCAPACITY: Abandonment or incapacity of such a serious nature as to demonstrate that the parent, legal guardian, or legal custodian is unable, unavailable, or unwilling to perform the regular and expected functions or care and support of the child. See Alabama Code 38-12-32
- program: The Kinship Guardianship Subsidy Program established by Section 38-12-33. See Alabama Code 38-12-32
- relative: An individual who is legally related to the child by blood, marriage, or adoption within the fourth degree of kinship, including only a brother, sister, uncle, aunt, first cousin, grandparent, great grandparent, great aunt, great uncle, great great grandparent, niece, nephew, grand niece, grand nephew, or a stepparent. See Alabama Code 38-12-32
- SEXUAL SERVITUDE: Any sexual conduct as defined in subdivision (3) of Section 14-11-30, for which anything of value is directly or indirectly given, promised to, or received by any person, which conduct is induced or obtained by coercion or deception from a person; provided, however, that if the sexual conduct is with a minor, no coercion or deception is required. See Alabama Code 13A-6-151
- SUCCESSOR GUARDIAN: A person or persons named in a kinship guardianship assistance agreement, or any amendment thereto, as the person or persons to provide care and guardianship for a child in the event of the death or incapacity of a kinship guardian. See Alabama Code 38-12-32
- TRAFFICKING VICTIM: Any person, including minors, subjected to labor servitude, sexual servitude, or involuntary servitude. See Alabama Code 13A-6-151
- Victim advocate: work with prosecutors and assist the victims of a crime.