A. A person commits false reporting by initiating or circulating a report of a bombing, fire, offense or other emergency knowing that such report is false and intending:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 13-2907
- Action: includes any matter or proceeding in a court, civil or criminal. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Felony: means an offense for which a sentence to a term of imprisonment in the custody of the state department of corrections is authorized by any law of this state. See Arizona Laws 3-1703
- Misdemeanor: means an offense for which a sentence to a term of imprisonment other than to the custody of the state department of corrections is authorized by any law of this state. See Arizona Laws 3-1703
- Physical injury: means the impairment of physical condition. See Arizona Laws 3-1703
- Public: means affecting or likely to affect a substantial group of persons. See Arizona Laws 5-322
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Serious physical injury: includes physical injury that creates a reasonable risk of death, or that causes serious and permanent disfigurement, serious impairment of health or loss or protracted impairment of the function of any bodily organ or limb. See Arizona Laws 3-1703
1. That it will cause action of any sort by an official or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies; or
2. That it will place a person in fear of imminent serious physical injury; or
3. That it will prevent or interrupt the occupation of any building, room, place of assembly, public place or means of transportation.
B. A person who commits a violation of this section that results in an emergency response or investigation of false reporting and who is convicted of a violation of this section is liable for the expenses that are incurred incident to the emergency response or the investigation of the commission of false reporting, except that if the person is a juvenile who is adjudicated delinquent of a violation of this section, the court may order the juvenile to pay the expenses incurred under this subsection as restitution. The expenses are a debt of the person. The public agency, for profit entity or not-for-profit entity that incurred the expenses may collect the debt proportionally. The liability that is imposed under this subsection is in addition to any other liability that may be imposed.
C. False reporting is a class 1 misdemeanor, except that a second or subsequent violation is a class 6 felony.
D. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Expenses" means any reasonable costs that are directly incurred by a public agency, for profit entity or not-for-profit entity that makes an appropriate emergency response to an incident or an investigation of the commission of false reporting. Expenses includes the costs of providing police, fire fighting, rescue and emergency medical services at the scene of an incident and the salaries of the persons who respond to the incident. Expenses does not include any charges that are assessed by an ambulance service that is regulated pursuant to title 36, chapter 21.1, article 2.
2. "Public agency" means this state, any city, county, municipal corporation or district, any Arizona federally recognized native American tribe or any other public authority that is located in whole or in part in this state and that provides police, fire fighting, medical or other emergency services.