A. It is unlawful for an athlete agent, with the intent to induce a student athlete to enter into an agency contract, to engage in any of the following conduct:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 15-1774
- Agency contract: means an agreement in which a student athlete authorizes a person to negotiate or solicit a professional sports services contract or an endorsement contract on behalf of the student athlete. See Arizona Laws 15-1762
- Athlete agent: means an individual who enters into an agency contract with a student athlete or, directly or indirectly, recruits or solicits a student athlete to enter into an agency contract. See Arizona Laws 15-1762
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Person: means an individual, a corporation, a business trust, an estate, a trust, a partnership, a limited liability company, an association, a joint venture, a government, a governmental subdivision, a government agency, a government instrumentality, a public corporation or any other legal or commercial entity. See Arizona Laws 15-1762
- Student athlete: means an individual who engages in, is eligible to engage in or may be eligible in the future to engage in any intercollegiate sport. See Arizona Laws 15-1762
1. Give any materially false or misleading information or make a materially false promise or representation.
2. Furnish anything of value to a student athlete before the student athlete enters into the agency contract.
3. Furnish anything of value to any individual other than the student athlete or another athlete agent.
B. It is unlawful for an athlete agent to intentionally commit any of the following conduct:
1. Refuse or fail to retain or permit inspection of the records required to be retained by section 15-1773.
2. Predate or postdate an agency contract.
3. Fail to notify a student athlete before the student athlete signs or otherwise authenticates an agency contract for a particular sport that the signing or authentication may make the student athlete ineligible to participate as a student athlete in that sport.
C. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor.