A. The health care appeals fund is established consisting of monies collected pursuant to subsection B of this section. The fund is a special state fund pursuant to section 35-142, subsection A, paragraph 8. Monies in the fund do not revert to the state general fund. The department shall administer the fund. Monies in the fund are continuously appropriated and are exempt from the provisions of section 35-190 relating to lapsing of appropriations.
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 20-2540
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Department: means the department of insurance. See Arizona Laws 20-2501
- Director: means the director of the department of insurance. See Arizona Laws 20-2501
- Health care insurer: means a disability insurer, group disability insurer, blanket disability insurer, health care services organization, hospital service corporation, prepaid dental plan organization, medical service corporation, dental service corporation or optometric service corporation or a hospital, medical, dental and optometric service corporation. See Arizona Laws 20-2501
- Process: means a citation, writ or summons issued in the course of judicial proceedings. See Arizona Laws 1-215
B. The director shall charge an appealing member’s health care insurer for all amounts owed to the independent review organization, pursuant to subsection C of this section, to decide the member’s appeal. The director may assess each health care insurer for administrative costs for implementing and maintaining the external independent review process as prescribed in this section and section 20-2538. The director shall deposit all collected monies in the fund.
C. The director shall use monies in the fund to:
1. Compensate procured independent review organizations for performing independent medical reviews on a per case rate unless the director determines that another method is necessary to carry out the purposes of this article.
2. Perform the responsibilities relating to the procurement of independent review organizations and to implement and maintain the external independent review process.
D. An independent review organization shall submit to the director for approval a detailed invoice consistent with the method of payment prescribed in subsection C of this section.