Arizona Laws 44-1692. Permissible use of consumer reports
A. Except as provided in section 44-1693, a consumer reporting agency may furnish a consumer report only under the following circumstances and no other:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 44-1692
- Consumer: means an individual. See Arizona Laws 44-1691
- Consumer report: means any written, oral, or other communication of any information by a consumer reporting agency bearing on a consumer's credit worthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living which is used or expected to be used or collected in whole or in part for the purpose of serving as a factor in establishing the consumer's eligibility for (a) credit or insurance to be used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes, or (b) employment purposes, or (c) other purposes authorized under section 44-1692. See Arizona Laws 44-1691
- Employment purposes: when used in connection with a consumer report means a report used for the purpose of evaluating a consumer for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention as an employee. See Arizona Laws 44-1691
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Person: means an individual, partnership, corporation, association, or any other entity of whatever kind or nature. See Arizona Laws 44-1691
1. In response to the order of a court having jurisdiction to issue such an order.
2. In accordance with the written instructions of the consumer to whom it relates.
3. To a person that it has reason to believe:
(a) Intends to use the information in connection with a credit transaction involving the consumer on whom the information is to be furnished and involving the extension of credit to, or review or collection of an account of, the consumer.
(b) Intends to use the information for employment purposes.
(c) Intends to use the information in connection with the underwriting of insurance involving the consumer.
(d) Intends to use the information in connection with a determination of the consumer’s eligibility for any license or other benefit granted by a governmental instrumentality required by law to consider an applicant’s financial responsibility or status.
(e) Otherwise has a legitimate business need for the information in connection with a business transaction involving the consumer.
4. On request by the department of economic security, its agent or another agency administering a title IV-D program under the social security act certifying that:
(a) The obligor mother or the obligor father has been determined to be the parent of a child to whom a support obligation relates.
(b) The consumer report is needed to establish an obligor’s capacity to make support payments or to determine the appropriate amount of the payments or for the purpose of setting an original support amount or modifying an existing support order.
(c) The obligor has received at least ten days’ advance notice, by certified mail, at the last known address, by personal delivery or by personal service that a consumer report will be requested.
(d) The consumer report shall be kept confidential and shall be used only for the purposes described in subdivision (b) of this paragraph.
(e) The consumer report shall not be used in connection with any other civil, administrative or criminal proceeding or for any other purpose.
B. The report furnished in subsection A of this section may be provided by electronic or other means.