Terms Used In Arizona Laws > Title 42 > Chapter 5
- acknowledgment: means either an acknowledgment pursuant to title 33, chapter 4, article 5 or the signature, without more, of the person or persons signing the instrument, in which case the signature or signatures constitute the affirmation or acknowledgment of the signatory, under penalties of perjury, that the instrument is the act and deed of the signatory and that the facts stated in the instrument are true. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Acquiring person: means a person that makes or proposes to make a control share acquisition. See Arizona Laws 10-2701
- Action: includes any matter or proceeding in a court, civil or criminal. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Affiliate: means a person that directly or indirectly controls, is controlled by or is under common control with a specified person. See Arizona Laws 10-2701
- Alternative fuel: means :
(a) Electricity. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Ancillary services: means those services so designated in federal energy regulatory commission order 888 adopted in 1996 that include the services necessary to support the transmission of electricity from resources to loads while maintaining reliable operation of the transmission system according to good utility practice. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Announcement date: when used in reference to any business combination, means the date of the first public announcement of the final, definitive proposal for the business combination. See Arizona Laws 10-2701
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Articles of incorporation: means the original or restated articles of incorporation or articles of merger and all amendments to the articles of incorporation or merger and includes amended and restated articles of incorporation and articles of amendment and merger. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Assessed valuation: means the value derived by applying the applicable percentage prescribed by chapter 15, article 1 of this title to the full cash value or limited property value of the property, as applicable. See Arizona Laws 42-11001
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Associate: when used to indicate a relationship with any person, means any of the following:
(a) Any corporation or entity of which the person is an officer, director or partner or is, directly or indirectly, the beneficial owner of ten per cent or more of any class or series of shares or other equity interest. See Arizona Laws 10-2701
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- beneficially owned: when used with respect to shares, refers to any of the following:
(a) A person who, directly or indirectly through any agreement, arrangement, relationship, understanding or otherwise, whether or not in writing, has or shares the power to vote, or direct the voting of the shares, or has or shares the power to dispose of or direct the disposition of the shares, except that:
(i) A person is not deemed the beneficial owner of shares tendered pursuant to a tender or exchange offer made by the person or any of the person's affiliates or associates until the tendered shares are accepted for purchase or exchange. See Arizona Laws 10-2701
- Board of directors: means the group of persons vested with the management of the affairs of the corporation irrespective of the name by which the group is designated and includes the governing body or bodies of a water users' association if the articles of incorporation of such water users' association provide for a governing body or bodies denominated other than as a board of directors. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Business: includes all activities or acts, personal or corporate, engaged in or caused to be engaged in with the object of gain, benefit or advantage, either directly or indirectly, but does not include either:
(a) Casual activities or sales. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Business combination: when used in reference to any issuing public corporation and any interested shareholder of the issuing public corporation, means any of the following:
(a) Any merger or consolidation of the issuing public corporation or any subsidiary of the issuing public corporation with either:
(i) The interested shareholder. See Arizona Laws 10-2701
- Business day: means a day that is not a Saturday, a Sunday or any other legal holiday in this state. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Bylaws: means the code of rules adopted for the regulation or management of the affairs of the corporation irrespective of the name by which those rules are designated. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Class: refers to a group of memberships that have the same rights with respect to voting, dissolution, redemption and transfer. See Arizona Laws 10-3140
- coal refining process: means the application of a coal additive system that aids the reduction of power plant emissions during the combustion of coal and the treatment of flue gas. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Commission: means the Arizona corporation commission. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- company: includes an individual, firm, partnership, joint venture, association, corporation, estate or trust, this state, any county, city, town, district, other than a school district, or other political subdivision and any other group or combination acting as a unit, and the plural as well as the singular number. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Consumer: means a person who purchases prepaid wireless telecommunications service in a retail sale of prepaid wireless telecommunications service. See Arizona Laws 42-5401
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Control share acquisition: means an acquisition, directly or indirectly, by an acquiring person of beneficial ownership of shares of an issuing public corporation that, except for article 2 of this chapter, would, when added to all other shares of the issuing public corporation beneficially owned by the acquiring person, entitle the acquiring person, immediately after the acquisition, to exercise or direct the exercise of a new range of voting power within any of the ranges specified in section 10-2722, subsection A, paragraph 4, but does not include any of the following:
(a) An acquisition by a donee pursuant to an inter vivos gift not made to avoid article 2 of this chapter or by a distributee as defined in section 14-1201. See Arizona Laws 10-2701
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Court: means the tax court or superior court, whichever is applicable. See Arizona Laws 42-1001
- Court: means the superior court of this state. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deliver: includes sending by mail, private courier, fax or electronic transmission. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Delivery: means actual receipt by the person or entity to which directed and for electronic transmissions means receipt as described in section 44-7015, subsection B. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Department: means the department of revenue. See Arizona Laws 42-1001
- Director: means the director of the department. See Arizona Laws 42-1001
- Distribution base: means the portion of the revenues derived from the tax levied by this article and articles 5 and 8 of this chapter designated for distribution to counties, municipalities and other purposes according to section 42-5029, subsection D. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Due date: means the next business day if a due date of any report, claim, return, statement, payment, deposit, petition, notice or other document or filing falls on Saturday, Sunday or a legal holiday. See Arizona Laws 42-11001
- E-mail: means an electronic transmission of a message to an e-mail address. See Arizona Laws 42-1001
- Electric distribution service: means distributing electricity to retail electric customers through the use of electric distribution facilities. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Electric generation service: means providing electricity for sale to retail electric customers but excluding electric distribution or transmission services. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Electric transmission service: means transmitting electricity to retail electric customers or to electric distribution facilities so classified by the federal energy regulatory commission or, to the extent permitted by law, so classified by the Arizona corporation commission. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Electricity: means electric energy, electric capacity or electric capacity and energy. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Electronic funds transfer: The transfer of money between accounts by consumer electronic systems-such as automated teller machines (ATMs) and electronic payment of bills-rather than by check or cash. (Wire transfers, checks, drafts, and paper instruments do not fall into this category.) Source: OCC
- Electronic transmission: means an electronic record as defined in section 44-7002 that is sent pursuant to section 44-7015. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Eligible grocery business: means an establishment that is deemed eligible to participate in the supplemental nutrition assistance program established by the food and nutrition act of 2008 (P. See Arizona Laws 42-5101
- Emergency telecommunication services: means telecommunication services or systems that use number 911 or a similarly designated telephone number for emergency calls. See Arizona Laws 42-5251
- Employee: includes an officer but not a director. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Engaging: when used with reference to engaging or continuing in business, includes the exercise of corporate or franchise powers. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Exchange access services: means telephone or telecommunication exchange access lines or channels that provide local access from the premises of a customer to the local telecommunications network to effect the transfer of information. See Arizona Laws 42-5251
- Facilities for the consumption of food: means tables, chairs, benches, booths, stools, counters and similar conveniences, trays, glasses, dishes or other tableware and parking areas for the convenience of in-car consumption of food in or on the premises on which the retailer conducts business. See Arizona Laws 42-5101
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Filing: means the commission completing the following procedure with respect to any document delivered for that purpose:
(a) Determining that the filing fee requirements of section 10-122 have been satisfied. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Food: means any food item intended for human consumption that is intended for home consumption as defined by rules adopted by the department pursuant to section 42-5106. See Arizona Laws 42-5101
- Food for consumption on the premises: includes :
(a) Hot prepared food. See Arizona Laws 42-5101
- Foreign corporation: means a corporation for profit that is incorporated under a law other than the law of this state. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Grace period: The number of days you'll have to pay your bill for purchases in full without triggering a finance charge. Source: Federal Reserve
- Gross income: means the gross receipts of a taxpayer derived from trade, business, commerce or sales and the value proceeding or accruing from the sale of tangible personal property or service, or both, and without any deduction on account of losses. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Gross proceeds of sales: means the value proceeding or accruing from the sale of tangible personal property without any deduction on account of the cost of property sold, expense of any kind or losses, but cash discounts allowed and taken on sales are not included as gross income. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Gross receipts: means the total amount of the sale, lease or rental price, as the case may be, of the retail sales of retailers, including any services that are a part of the sales, valued in money, whether received in money or otherwise, including all receipts, cash, credits and property of every kind or nature, and any amount for which credit is allowed by the seller to the purchaser without any deduction from the amount on account of the cost of the property sold, materials used, labor or service performed, interest paid, losses or any other expense. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Gross value of production: means the sum of the value of production determined for each metalliferous mineral mined by the severer. See Arizona Laws 42-5201
- health sciences: includes medicine, nursing, physician's assistant studies, pharmacy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, biomedical sciences, podiatry, clinical psychology, cardiovascular science, nurse anesthesia, dentistry, optometry and veterinary medicine. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Interested shareholder: when used in reference to any issuing public corporation, means any person, other than the issuing public corporation or any subsidiary of the issuing public corporation, that is either:
(a) The beneficial owner, directly or indirectly, of ten per cent or more of the voting power of the outstanding shares of the issuing public corporation. See Arizona Laws 10-2701
- Internal revenue code: means the United States internal revenue code of 1986, as amended and in effect as of January 1, 2018, including those provisions that became effective during 2017 with the specific adoption of their retroactive effective dates but excluding all changes to the code enacted after January 1, 2018. See Arizona Laws 42-1001
- Issuing public corporation: means a corporation that has a class of equity securities registered pursuant to section 12 or is subject to section 15(d) of the securities exchange act of 1934 or has elected to be subject to all or part of this chapter pursuant to section 10-2706 and which either:
(a) Is incorporated under the laws of this state. See Arizona Laws 10-2701
- Jet fuel: means crude oil or any fraction of crude oil which is liquid at sixty degrees Fahrenheit and 14. See Arizona Laws 42-5351
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Market value: when used in reference to stock or property of any issuing public corporation, means the following:
(a) In the case of stock, the highest closing sale price during the thirty day period immediately preceding the date in question of the stock on the composite tape for New York stock exchange listed stock or, if the stock is not quoted on the composite tape or not listed on the New York stock exchange, on the principal United States securities exchange registered under the securities exchange act of 1934 on which the stock is listed or, if the stock is not listed on any such exchange, on the national association of securities dealers, inc. See Arizona Laws 10-2701
- Mining: means the activity of extracting from the earth substances that become metalliferous minerals and:
(a) In the case of ore that is customarily milled, concentrated, agitation leached, or vat leached, mining includes all activity from the breaking of ground to the delivery of ore to the primary crusher, including blasting, loading, hauling, including hauling of waste, and dumping. See Arizona Laws 42-5201
- Minor: means a person under the age of eighteen years. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month unless otherwise expressed. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- municipal water delivery system: means an entity that distributes or sells potable water primarily through a pipeline delivery system which is owned by either:
1. See Arizona Laws 42-5301
- Natural gas: means natural or artificial gas, and includes methane and propane gas, the natural gas commodity, natural gas pipeline capacity or natural gas commodity and pipeline capacity. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Notice: means written notice served personally or by certified mail and addressed to the last known address of the person to whom such notice is given. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Oath: includes an affirmation or declaration. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Other services: includes metering, meter reading services, billing and collecting services. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: includes an individual, firm, partnership, joint venture, association, corporation, estate, trust, receiver or syndicate, this state or a county, city, municipality, district or any other political subdivision or agency of this state. See Arizona Laws 42-5351
- Person: means an individual, a corporation, a partnership, a syndicate, an association, a joint stock company, a trust in which the interests of the beneficiaries are evidenced by securities, an unincorporated organization or entity or a government or political subdivision of a government. See Arizona Laws 10-2701
- Person: means a natural person, individual, proprietor, proprietorship, company, corporation, organization, association, joint venture, partner, partnership, trust, estate or limited liability company, the federal or state government, a political subdivision of a state or any other legal entity or combination of entities that owns, controls or has possession of real or personal property. See Arizona Laws 42-11001
- Person: includes an individual and entity. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Person: means an individual, firm, partnership, joint venture, association, corporation, estate, trust, receiver or syndicate, this state or a county, city, municipality, district or other political subdivision or agency thereof. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Personal property: includes property of every kind, both tangible and intangible, not included in the term real estate. See Arizona Laws 42-11001
- Population: means the population according to the most recent United States decennial census. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Premises: means the total space and facilities in or on which a retailer conducts business and that are owned or controlled, in whole or in part, by a retailer or are made available for the use of customers of the retailer or group of retailers, including any building or part of a building, parking lot or grounds. See Arizona Laws 42-5101
- Prepaid wireless telecommunications service: means wireless services that allow a caller to dial 911 to access the 911 system under a service that is paid for in advance and that is sold in predetermined units or dollars of which the number declines with use in a known amount. See Arizona Laws 42-5251
- Prepaid wireless telecommunications service: means a commercial mobile radio service, as defined by 47 Code of Federal Regulations section 20. See Arizona Laws 42-5401
- President: means that officer designated as the president in the articles of incorporation or bylaws or, if not so designated, that officer authorized in the articles of incorporation, bylaws or otherwise to perform the functions of the chief executive officer, irrespective of the name by which designated. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Price: means the per unit consideration a severer receives from the sale during the reporting period of a metallic product whether sold within or without this state. See Arizona Laws 42-5201
- Process: means a citation, writ or summons issued in the course of judicial proceedings. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Processing: means any non-mining activity that transforms metalliferous minerals into metalliferous mineral products including precipitating, crushing, concentrating, smelting and refining. See Arizona Laws 42-5201
- Production costs: means the costs incurred by the severer in mining and processing until the point of sale including but not limited to energy, fuel, labor, supplies, depreciation, transportation and other expenses reasonably allocable to mining or processing including but not limited to labor benefits, property taxes, lease payments for equipment used in mining or processing and support services such as maintenance, security and administration if such services are site specific. See Arizona Laws 42-5201
- Property: includes both real and personal property. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Provider: means any of the following:
(a) A public service corporation that offers telephone or telecommunications services pursuant to title 40 and that provides exchange access services. See Arizona Laws 42-5251
- Purchase: means any transfer, exchange or barter, conditional or otherwise, in any manner or by any means, of tangible personal property for a consideration, including transactions by which the possession of property is transferred but the seller retains the title as security for payment. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Qualifying health care organization: means an entity that is recognized as nonprofit under section 501(c) of the United States internal revenue code and that uses, saves or invests at least eighty per cent of all monies that it receives from all sources each year only for health and medical related educational and charitable services, as documented by annual financial audits prepared by an independent certified public accountant, performed according to generally accepted auditing standards and filed annually with the department. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Qualifying health sciences educational institution: means an entity that is recognized as nonprofit under section 501(c) of the United States internal revenue code and that solely provides graduate and postgraduate education in the health sciences. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Qualifying hospital: means any of the following:
(a) A licensed hospital which is organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Real estate: includes the ownership of, claim to, possession of or right of possession to lands or patented mines. See Arizona Laws 42-11001
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Retail electric customer: means a person who purchases electricity for that person's own use, including use in that person's trade or business, and not for resale, redistribution or retransmission. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Retail sale: means a sale for any purpose other than a sale for resale in the regular course of business. See Arizona Laws 42-5351
- Retail sale of prepaid wireless telecommunications service: means a sale of prepaid wireless telecommunications service by a seller for any purpose other than resale. See Arizona Laws 42-5401
- Retailer: includes every person engaging or continuing in the business of selling jet fuel for storage, use or other consumption or in the business of selling jet fuel owned by that person or others for storage, use or other consumption. See Arizona Laws 42-5351
- Retailer: includes every person engaged in the business classified under the retail classification pursuant to section 42-5061 and, when in the opinion of the department it is necessary for the efficient administration of this article, includes dealers, distributors, supervisors, employers and salesmen, representatives, peddlers or canvassers as the agents of the dealers, distributors, supervisors or employers under whom they operate or from whom they obtain the tangible personal property sold by them, whether in making sales on their own behalf or on behalf of the dealers, distributors, supervisors or employers. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Retailer: includes :
(a) Every person engaged in the business of making sales of tangible personal property for storage, use or other consumption or in the business of making sales at auction of tangible personal property owned by that person or others for storage, use or other consumption. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Sale: means any transfer of title or possession, or both, exchange, barter, lease or rental, conditional or otherwise, in any manner or by any means whatever, including consignment transactions and auctions, of tangible personal property or other activities taxable under this chapter, for a consideration, and includes:
(a) Any transaction by which the possession of property is transferred but the seller retains the title as security for the payment of the price. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- sales price: means the total amount for which tangible personal property is sold, including any services that are a part of the sale, valued in money, whether paid in money or otherwise, and any amount for which credit is given to the purchaser by the seller without any deduction on account of the cost of the property sold, materials used, labor or services performed, interest charged, losses or other expenses, but does not include:
(a) Discounts allowed and taken. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Secondary property taxes: means :
(a) Ad valorem taxes or special property assessments that are used to pay the principal of and the interest and redemption charges on bonded indebtedness or other lawful long-term obligations that are issued or incurred for a specific capital purpose by a municipality, county or taxing district. See Arizona Laws 42-11001
- Secretary: means that officer designated as the secretary in the articles of incorporation or bylaws or that officer authorized in the articles of incorporation, the bylaws or otherwise to perform the functions of secretary, irrespective of the name by which designated. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Seller: means a person who sells prepaid wireless telecommunications service to another person. See Arizona Laws 42-5401
- Severer: means a person engaging in the business of mining. See Arizona Laws 42-5201
- Shareholder: means the person in whose name shares are registered in the records of a corporation or the beneficial owner of shares to the extent of the rights granted by a nominee certificate on file with a corporation. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Shares: means those shares presently entitled to vote in the election of directors of the issuing public corporation. See Arizona Laws 10-2701
- Solar daylighting: means a device that is specifically designed to capture and redirect the visible portion of the solar beam, while controlling the infrared portion, for use in illuminating interior building spaces in lieu of artificial lighting. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Solar energy device: means a system or series of mechanisms designed primarily to provide heating, to provide cooling, to produce electrical power, to produce mechanical power, to provide solar daylighting or to provide any combination of the foregoing by means of collecting and transferring solar generated energy into such uses either by active or passive means, including wind generator systems that produce electricity. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- Storage: means keeping or retaining jet fuel purchased from a retailer for any purpose except sale in the regular course of business or subsequent use solely outside this state. See Arizona Laws 42-5351
- Storage: means keeping or retaining tangible personal property purchased from a retailer for any purpose except sale in the regular course of business or subsequent use solely outside this state. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- subscription: includes a mark, if a person cannot write, with the person's name written near it and witnessed by a person who writes the person's own name as witness. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Tangible personal property: means personal property which may be seen, weighed, measured, felt or touched or is in any other manner perceptible to the senses. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Taxpayer: means any person who is liable for any tax which is imposed by this article. See Arizona Laws 42-5001
- Taxpayer: means any retailer or person storing, using or consuming tangible personal property the storage, use or consumption of which is subject to the tax imposed by this article when such tax was not paid to a retailer. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- United States: includes a district, authority, bureau, commission and department and any other agency of the United States. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Use or consumption: means the exercise of any right or power over tangible personal property incidental to owning the property except holding for sale or selling the property in the regular course of business. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Use or consumption: means the exercise of any right or power over jet fuel incidental to owning the fuel except holding for sale or selling the fuel in the regular course of business. See Arizona Laws 42-5351
- User fees: Fees charged to users of goods or services provided by the government. In levying or authorizing these fees, the legislature determines whether the revenue should go into the treasury or should be available to the agency providing the goods or services.
- Utility business: means a person that is engaged in the business of providing electric utility services to retail electric customers or natural gas utility services to retail natural gas customers. See Arizona Laws 42-5151
- Valuation: means the full cash value or limited property value that is determined for real or personal property, as applicable. See Arizona Laws 42-11001
- Value of production: means the price multiplied by the recoverable units of a metallic product mined by the severer. See Arizona Laws 42-5201
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- Vote: includes authorization by written ballot and written consent. See Arizona Laws 10-3140
- Voting power: means the total number of votes entitled to be cast for the election of directors at the time the determination of voting power is made, excluding a vote that is contingent on the happening of a condition or event that has not occurred at the time. See Arizona Laws 10-3140
- Writing: includes printing. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- written: includes blockchain technology as defined in section 44-7061. See Arizona Laws 10-140