(a) Subject to subdivision (c) of Section 703, shares held by an administrator, executor, guardian, conservator or custodian may be voted by such holder either in person or by proxy, without a transfer of such shares into the holder’s name; and shares standing in the name of a trustee may be voted by the trustee, either in person or by proxy, but no trustee shall be entitled to vote shares held by such trustee without a transfer of such shares into the trustee’s name.
(b) Shares standing in the name of a receiver may be voted by such receiver; and shares held by or under the control of a receiver may be voted by such receiver without the transfer thereof into the receiver’s name if authority to do so is contained in the order of the court by which such receiver was appointed.
Terms Used In California Corporations Code 702
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See California Corporations Code 18
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which the term appears unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Corporations Code 10
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
(c) Subject to the provisions of Section 705 and except where otherwise agreed in writing between the parties, a shareholder whose shares are pledged shall be entitled to vote such shares until the shares have been transferred into the name of the pledgee, and thereafter the pledgee shall be entitled to vote the shares so transferred.
(d) Shares standing in the name of a minor may be voted and the corporation may treat all rights incident thereto as exercisable by the minor, in person or by proxy, whether or not the corporation has notice, actual or constructive, of the nonage, unless a guardian of the minor’s property has been appointed and written notice of such appointment given to the corporation.
(e) If authorized to vote the shares by the power of attorney by which the attorney in fact was appointed, shares held by or under the control of an attorney in fact may be voted and the corporation may treat all rights incident thereto as exercisable by the attorney in fact, in person or by proxy, without the transfer of the shares into the name of the attorney in fact.
(Amended by Stats. 1985, Ch. 403, Sec. 13.)