(a) For purposes of this section, the following terms shall have the meanings ascribed herein:
(1) ”Activity” is any decision, act or event undertaken by an organization in furtherance of the purpose or purposes for which such organization was organized and exempted from federal income tax, and in the case of a governmental entity described in paragraph (a)(4)b. of this section, in furtherance of the exercise of any governmental function. By way of example, and not limitation, the planning for, sponsorship and conduct of a fundraising event for the benefit of 1 or more organizations is an “activity.”
(2) ”Compensation” is any remuneration, whether by way of salary, fee or otherwise, for services rendered, exclusive of any gift perquisite in the form of access to services of the organization at no or a reduced cost or reimbursement for costs actually incurred. Compensation shall not include any remuneration which an ex officio trustee receives by way of salary for a position which requires among other duties serving as an ex officio trustee.
(3) ”Employee” is any person who receives compensation from an organization or a third party for services rendered in connection with an activity of such organization.
(4) ”Organization” shall include:
a. Any not-for-profit organization exempt from federal income tax under § 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. § 501(c)), as amended, or other act of Congress, and engaged in any activity within the State in furtherance of a purpose for which it was organized; and
b. Any governmental entity, including the United States, the State and any board, commission, division, office, task force or other agency of the State or the United States, exempt from federal income tax under § 115 of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. § 115), as amended, or other acts of Congress, and engaged in any activity within the State in furtherance of the exercise of any governmental function.
(5) ”Volunteer” is any trustee, ex officio trustee, director, officer, agent or worker who is engaged in an activity without compensation.
Terms Used In Delaware Code Title 10 Sec. 8133
- State: means the State of Delaware; and when applied to different parts of the United States, it includes the District of Columbia and the several territories and possessions of the United States. See Delaware Code Title 1 Sec. 302
- United States: includes its territories and possessions and the District of Columbia. See Delaware Code Title 1 Sec. 302
(b) No volunteer of an organization shall be subject to suit directly, derivatively or by way of contribution for any civil damages under the laws of Delaware resulting from any negligent act or omission performed during or in connection with an activity of such organization.
(c) Notwithstanding subsection (b) of this section, a in a civil lawsuitplaintiff may sue and recover civil damages from a volunteer based upon a negligent act or omission involving the operation of a motor vehicle during an activity; provided, that the amount recovered from such volunteer shall not exceed the limits of applicable insurance coverage maintained by or on behalf of such volunteer with respect to the negligent operation of a motor vehicle in such circumstances.
(d) The immunity granted in subsection (b) of this section shall not extend to any act or omission constituting wilful and wanton or grossly negligent conduct.
(e) In any suit against an organization for civil damages based upon the negligent act or omission of a volunteer, proof of such act or omission shall be sufficient to establish the liability of the organization therefor under the doctrine of respondeat superior, notwithstanding the immunity granted to the volunteer with respect to such negligent act or omission under subsection (b) of this section.