(a) No civil action for the recovery of damages for a cause of action, as specified in subsection (b) of this section, shall be brought by or on behalf of any person who has:
(1) Been convicted for any felony class A, B, C, D or E except §§ 503, 876, 932 through 936, 1109, 1223, 1352, 1361, 1442, 1448, 1455, 1457 and 1503 of Title 11;
(2) Been convicted of § 629, § 630, § 768, § 769, § 782, § 801, § 824, § 1252, § 1302, or § 1312A of Title 11; or
(3) Not been convicted for any predicate felony listed in paragraph (a)(1) or (2) of this section, but has displayed conduct that but for the person’s death or incapacity he or she would have been convicted of such a felony.
Terms Used In Delaware Code Title 10 Sec. 8139
- State: means the State of Delaware; and when applied to different parts of the United States, it includes the District of Columbia and the several territories and possessions of the United States. See Delaware Code Title 1 Sec. 302
- United States: includes its territories and possessions and the District of Columbia. See Delaware Code Title 1 Sec. 302
(b) ”Cause of action,” as used in subsection (a) of this section, shall mean any claim for alleged personal injuries where the alleged injury has been sustained by that person while committing, during the course of or in the immediate flight from the crime or alleged crime referenced in subsection (a) of this section, or while that person was attempting to escape or prevent a police officer from effecting an arrest for that crime or alleged crime.
(c) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as barring a cause of action against a public entity or a public official for violating the civil rights of such person where those rights are specifically granted or protected by the Constitution or statutes of the United States or the Constitution or statutes of the State of Delaware.