As used in this chapter:
(1) ”Abandoned” means left without provision for reasonable and necessary care or supervision.
(2) ”Child” means an individual who has not attained 18 years of age.
(3) ”Child custody determination” means a judgment, decree or other order of a court providing for the legal custody, physical custody or visitation with respect to a child. The term includes a permanent, temporary, initial and modification order. The term does not include an order relating to child support or other monetary obligation of an individual.
(4) ”Child custody proceeding” means a proceeding in which legal custody, physical custody or visitation with respect to a child is an issue. The term includes a proceeding for divorce, separation, neglect, abuse, dependency, guardianship, paternity, termination of parental rights and protection from domestic violence, in which the issue may appear. The term does not include a proceeding involving juvenile delinquency, contractual emancipation or enforcement under subchapter III of this chapter.
(5) ”Commencement” means the filing of the first pleading in a proceeding.
(6) ”Court” means the Family Court of the State.
(7) ”Home State” means the state in which a child lived with a parent or a person acting as a parent for at least 6 consecutive months immediately before the commencement of a child custody proceeding. In the case of a child less than 6 months of age, the term means the state in which the child lived from birth with any of the persons mentioned. A period of temporary absence of any of the mentioned persons is part of the period.
(8) ”Initial determination” means the first child custody determination concerning a particular child.
(9) ”Issuing court” means the court that makes a child custody determination for which enforcement is sought under this chapter.
(10) ”Issuing State” means the state in which a child custody determination is made.
(11) ”Modification” means a child custody determination that changes, replaces, supersedes or is otherwise made after a previous determination concerning the same child, whether or not it is made by the court that made the previous determination.
(12) ”Person” means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency or instrumentality, public corporation, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(13) ”Person acting as a parent” means a person, other than a parent, who:
a. Has physical custody of the child or has had physical custody for a period of 6 consecutive months, including any temporary absence, within 1 year immediately before the commencement of a child custody proceeding; and
b. Has been awarded legal custody by a court or claims a right to legal custody under the law of this State.
(14) ”Physical custody” means the physical care and supervision of a child.
(15) ”State” means a State of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United State Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
(16) ”Tribe” means an Indian tribe or band, or Alaska Native village, which is recognized by federal law or formally acknowledged by a state.
(17) ”Warrant” means an order issued by a court authorizing law enforcement officers to take physical custody of a child.
Terms Used In Delaware Code Title 13 Sec. 1902
- Child: means a person who has not reached the age of 18 years. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- State: means the State of Delaware; and when applied to different parts of the United States, it includes the District of Columbia and the several territories and possessions of the United States. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- United States: includes its territories and possessions and the District of Columbia. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Year: means a calendar year, and is equivalent to the words "year of our Lord. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307