Terms Used In Delaware Code > Title 31 > Chapter 30
- Agency: means any agency, board, department, bureau or commission of this State which receives an appropriation under the general appropriation act of the General Assembly. See Delaware Code Title 29 Sec. 5901
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Board: means the Merit Employee Relations Board created by this chapter. See Delaware Code Title 29 Sec. 5901
- Board member: means a member of the Board. See Delaware Code Title 29 Sec. 5901
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Freedom of Information Act: A federal law that mandates that all the records created and kept by federal agencies in the executive branch of government must be open for public inspection and copying. The only exceptions are those records that fall into one of nine exempted categories listed in the statute. Source: OCC
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Rules: means those rules adopted by the Board pursuant to this chapter. See Delaware Code Title 29 Sec. 5901
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Department of Human Resources. See Delaware Code Title 29 Sec. 5901
- state service: means all positions of state employment other than the following positions, which are excluded:
(1) Members of the General Assembly and others elected by popular vote and persons appointed to fill vacancies in elective offices. See Delaware Code Title 29 Sec. 5903
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.