|Subchapter I||General Provisions||5301 – 5302|
|Subchapter II||Archaeological Resources in or on State Lands||5303 – 5316|
Terms Used In Delaware Code > Title 7 > Chapter 53
- adult person: means a person of the age of 18 years or older. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Agent of the department: means a person who acts on behalf of the Department to carry out its activities. See Delaware Code Title 7 Sec. 5307
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- At large: means livestock that strays from confinement or restraint and from the property of the owner including livestock that strays into a confined area that is owned by a person other than the owner of the livestock. See Delaware Code Title 7 Sec. 5307
- Building: means any structure, building, edifice or part thereof. See Delaware Code Title 9 Sec. 6301
- Child: means a person who has not reached the age of 18 years. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Construction: means alteration, removal, demolition, addition, repair or construction of any new or old building. See Delaware Code Title 9 Sec. 6301
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the State Department of Agriculture. See Delaware Code Title 7 Sec. 5301
- Department: means the Department of Agriculture. See Delaware Code Title 7 Sec. 5307
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Livestock: means any cattle, sheep, swine, goats, horses, mules, other equines, poultry or cultured aquatic stock. See Delaware Code Title 7 Sec. 5301
- Livestock: means domesticated species including: bovine, camelid, cervid, equine, swine, ruminants, ratites, rabbits, poultry, and other animals harvested for food, fiber, fur, or leather. See Delaware Code Title 7 Sec. 5307
- Livestock dealer: means every recognized dealer engaged in the business of buying, selling or transporting livestock or operating a livestock auction or a livestock sales facility. See Delaware Code Title 7 Sec. 5301
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means any architect, builder, contractor, repairman, agent, partner or corporation as well as an individual. See Delaware Code Title 9 Sec. 6301
- Person: means any individual, partnership, association, corporation or organized group of persons whether incorporated or not. See Delaware Code Title 7 Sec. 5301
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- real property: is synonymous with the phrase "lands, tenements and hereditaments. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Unenclosed lands: means lands, other than the livestock owner's property, where the livestock would be able to run loose, free of confinement, or otherwise unrestrained by the livestock owner. See Delaware Code Title 7 Sec. 5307
- United States: includes its territories and possessions and the District of Columbia. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.
- Year: means a calendar year, and is equivalent to the words "year of our Lord. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307