Effective date: 2/25/2015
Citrus trees produced for research purposes shall abide by the following requirements:
(1) Citrus breeding programs at the USDA or University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences centers will be required to meet the same requirements as registered citrus nurseries for managing material from the field entering and leaving greenhouses, specifically dealing with testing for citrus tristeza virus, citrus greening and citrus canker.
(2) Source trees utilized by research agencies may remain on site provided they are maintained under protective cover as specified in Rule 5B-62.010, F.A.C.
(3) Breeding selections intended for general citrus industry release must meet all the requirements of Rule 5B-62.013, F.A.C., Parent Trees.
(4) Research facilities shall sign a Research Facility Compliance Agreement, FDACS-08318, Revised 03/14, as incorporated in Rule 5B-62.005, F.A.C.
(5) Requests to plant pathogen infected material for research projects shall be made on an Application and Permit To Plant Citrus Pathogen Infected Stock, FDACS-08274, Revised 05/12, as incorporated in Rule 5B-62.005, F.A.C.
(6) Evaluation material originating from citrus breeding programs can be propagated and replanted on the originating site without testing the material for diseases contained in Rule 5B-62.003, F.A.C., provided such material is replanted within 18 months of being moved from the initial site. If top-worked, the buds must be top-worked directly back to the original site where the budwood source tree is located and not moved from the tree space where top-worked. Evaluation material cannot be planted in areas other than the original site without being tested for endemic vectored diseases contained in Rule 5B-62.003, F.A.C. Such evaluation material shall be propagated within a citrus nursery structure in accordance with Rule 5B-62.010, F.A.C., isolated from any citrus plant material intended for off-site planting.
Rulemaking Authority 570.07(23), 581.031(1), (3), (8), 581.1843(3), (4) FS. Law Implemented 570.07(2), (13), 581.031(1), (14), (17), (23), 581.1843(3), (4) FS. History—New 12-26-06, Amended 2-25-15.