(1) CITIZEN SUPPORT ORGANIZATIONS.–The division may support the establishment of citizen support organizations to provide assistance, funding, and promotional support for the cultural, arts, historical, and museum programs of the division. For the purposes of this section, a “citizen support organization” means an organization which is:
(a) A Florida corporation not for profit incorporated under the provisions of chapter 617 and approved by the Department of State.
Terms Used In Florida Statutes 265.703
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- writing: includes handwriting, printing, typewriting, and all other methods and means of forming letters and characters upon paper, stone, wood, or other materials. See Florida Statutes 1.01
(b) Organized and operated to conduct programs and activities; raise funds; request and receive grants, gifts, and bequests of money; acquire, receive, hold, invest, and administer, in its own name, securities, funds, objects of value, or other property, real or personal; and make expenditures to or for the direct or indirect benefit of the division or individual program units of the division.
(c) Determined by the division to be consistent with the goals of the division and in the best interests of the state.
(d) Approved in writing by the division to operate for the direct or indirect benefit of the division. Such approval shall be given in a letter of agreement from the division.
(2) USE OF ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES AND PROPERTY.–
(a) The division may fix and collect charges for the rental of facilities and properties managed by the division and may permit, without charge, appropriate use of administrative services, property, and facilities of the division by a citizen support organization, subject to the provisions of this section. Such use must be directly in keeping with the approved purposes of the citizen support organization and may not be made at times or places that would unreasonably interfere with opportunities for the general public to use such facilities for established purposes. Any moneys received from rentals of facilities and properties managed by the division may be held in the Grants and Donations Trust Fund of the division or in a separate depository account in the name of the citizen support organization and subject to the provisions of the letter of agreement with the division. The letter of agreement shall provide that any funds held in the separate depository account in the name of the citizen support organization shall revert to the division if the citizen support organization is no longer approved by the division to operate in the best interests of the state.
(b) The division may prescribe any condition with which a citizen support organization shall comply in order to use division administrative services, property, or facilities.
(c) The division shall not permit the use of any administrative services, property, or facilities of the state by a citizen support organization which does not provide equal membership and employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, or national origin.
(3) ANNUAL AUDIT.–The citizen support organization shall provide for an annual financial audit in accordance with s. 215.981. Information of the Museum of Florida History citizen support organization which is confidential and exempt pursuant to s. 267.17 shall retain its confidential and exempt status.