(1) The department may issue a learner’s driver license to a person who is at least 15 years of age and who:
(a) Has passed the written examination for a learner’s driver license;
Terms Used In Florida Statutes 322.1615
- Department: means the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles acting directly or through its duly authorized representatives. See Florida Statutes 409.908
- Driver license: means a certificate that, subject to all other requirements of law, authorizes an individual to drive a motor vehicle and denotes an operator's license as defined in 49 U. See Florida Statutes 409.908
- Motor vehicle: means any self-propelled vehicle, including a motor vehicle combination, not operated upon rails or guideway, excluding vehicles moved solely by human power, motorized wheelchairs, and motorized bicycles as defined in…. See Florida Statutes 409.908
- person: includes individuals, children, firms, associations, joint adventures, partnerships, estates, trusts, business trusts, syndicates, fiduciaries, corporations, and all other groups or combinations. See Florida Statutes 88.6011
- Vehicle: means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a public highway or operated upon rails or guideway, except a bicycle, motorized wheelchair, or motorized bicycle. See Florida Statutes 409.908
(b) Has passed the vision and hearing examination administered under s. 322.12;
(c) Has completed the traffic law and substance abuse education course prescribed in s. 322.095; and
(d) Meets all other requirements set forth in law and by rule of the department.
(2) When operating a motor vehicle, the holder of a learner’s driver license must be accompanied at all times by a driver who:
(a) Holds a valid license to operate the type of vehicle being operated;
(b) Is at least 21 years of age; and
(c) Occupies the closest seat to the right of the driver of the motor vehicle.
(3) A person who holds a learner’s driver license may operate a vehicle only during daylight hours, except that the holder of a learner’s driver license may operate a vehicle until 10 p.m. after 3 months following the issuance of the learner’s driver license.
(4) A licensee who violates subsection (2) or subsection (3) is subject to the civil penalty imposed for a moving violation as set forth in chapter 318.