Terms Used In Florida Statutes 458.335
- Board: means the Board of Medicine. See Florida Statutes 559.545
- Department: means the Department of Health. See Florida Statutes 559.545
- Physician: means a person who is licensed to practice medicine in this state. See Florida Statutes 559.545
- writing: includes handwriting, printing, typewriting, and all other methods and means of forming letters and characters upon paper, stone, wood, or other materials. See Florida Statutes 88.6011
(1) As used in this section, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, “physician” means a doctor of medicine or osteopathic medicine licensed under this chapter or chapter 459.
(2) No physician shall be subject to disciplinary action by the Board of Medicine or Board of Osteopathic Medicine for prescribing or administering dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) to a patient under his or her care who has requested the substance.
(3) The patient, after being fully informed as to alternative methods of treatment and their potential for cure and upon request for the administration of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) by his or her physician, shall sign a written release, releasing the physician and, when applicable, the hospital or health facility from any liability therefor.
(4) The physician shall inform the patient in writing if dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) has not been approved as a treatment or cure by the Food and Drug Administration of the United States Department of Health and Human Services for the disorder for which it is being prescribed.
(5) This act shall not apply to conditions for which dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) has been approved as a treatment by the Food and Drug Administration of the United States Department of Health and Human Services.