Terms Used In Florida Statutes 463.007
- Board: means the Board of Optometry. See Florida Statutes 570.051
- Department: means the Department of Health. See Florida Statutes 570.051
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Transcript-quality: means a course which is in conjunction with or sponsored by a school or college of optometry or equivalent educational entity, which course is approved by the board and requires a test and passing grade. See Florida Statutes 570.051
(1) The department shall renew a license upon receipt of the renewal application and the fee set by the board not to exceed $300.
(2) The department shall adopt rules establishing a procedure for the biennial renewal of licenses.
(3) As a condition of license renewal, a licensee must demonstrate his or her professional competence by completing up to 30 hours of continuing education during the 2-year period preceding license renewal. For certified optometrists, the 30-hour continuing education requirement includes 6 or more hours of approved transcript-quality coursework in ocular and systemic pharmacology and the diagnosis, treatment, and management of ocular and systemic conditions and diseases during the 2-year period preceding application for license renewal.
(4) Criteria or course content of continuing education must be approved by the board and must be regularly reviewed by the board to assure that the programs adequately and reliably contribute to the professional competence of the licensee.