[ 663-1.2] Tort liability for breach of contract; punitive damages. No person may recover damages, including punitive damages, in tort for a breach of a contract in the absence of conduct that:
Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes 663-1.2
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
(1) Violated a duty that is independently recognized by principles of tort law; and
(2) Transcended the breach of the contract.