(1) It is unlawful for any person to assume or use the title or designation of "dietitian," "licensed dietitian (LD)," "registered dietitian (RD)," "registered dietitian nutritionist" (RDN), or any other combination of terms that include the title "dietitian," unless such person has been issued a license pursuant to this chapter and the license is in good standing pursuant to rules of the board. Nothing contained herein shall be construed to prohibit the use of the term "nutrition" or "diet" as a descriptive term in connection with a person’s occupation or employment.
(2) No person shall use any other title, designation, words, letters, abbreviations, or sign, card or device which indicates to the public that such person is a dietitian or has been issued a temporary permit pursuant to this chapter unless the person is so licensed or has been issued such permit, and the license or permit is in good standing pursuant to rules of the board.
Terms Used In Idaho Code 54-3503
- Academy of nutrition and dietetics: means the national organization that credentials dietetics professionals and accredits undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare dietetics professionals. See Idaho Code 54-3502
- Board: means the Idaho state board of medicine. See Idaho Code 54-3502
- Dietetics: means the integration, application and communication of principles derived from food, nutrition, social, business and basic sciences to achieve and maintain optimal nutrition status of individuals through the development, provision and management of effective food and nutrition services in a variety of settings. See Idaho Code 54-3502
- Dietitian: means a person licensed under the provisions of this chapter as a licensed dietitian (LD) who:
Idaho Code 54-3502
person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person;
Idaho Code 73-114
(3) A person who is a registered dietitian, as determined by the commission on dietetic registration of the academy of nutrition and dietetics, or its successor organization may continue to use such credential without being licensed pursuant to this chapter as long as the person does not engage in the practice of dietetics as set forth in this chapter.
(4) Exemptions for licensure. The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to the following:
(a) Persons who are not licensed dietitians but are licensed under title 54, Idaho Code, acting within the scope of their profession and doing work of a nature consistent with their training, provided that they do not represent themselves by any title or practice description prohibited by subsection (1) of this section; or
(b) Persons who are licensed to practice medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, or osteopathic medicine under chapter 18, title 54, Idaho Code, provided that they do not represent themselves as licensed dietitians.