As used in this chapter:
(1)(a) "Advocate" means to campaign for or against a candidate or the outcome of a ballot measure.
(b) "Advocate" does not mean providing factual information about a ballot measure and the public entity’s reason for the ballot measure stated in a factually neutral manner. Factual information includes, but is not limited to, the cost of indebtedness, intended purpose, condition of property to be addressed, date and location of election, qualifications of candidates or other applicable information necessary to provide transparency to electors.
(2) "Ballot measure" means constitutional amendments, bond measures or levy measures.
Terms Used In Idaho Code 74-603
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Intangible property: Property that has no intrinsic value, but is merely the evidence of value such as stock certificates, bonds, and promissory notes.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person;
Idaho Code 73-114
Property: includes both real and personal property. See Idaho Code 73-114 State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114
(3) "Candidate" means and includes every person for whom it is contemplated or desired that votes be cast at any political convention, primary, general, local or special election and who either tacitly or expressly consents to be so considered.
(4) "Expenditure" means:
(a) A purchase, payment, donation, distribution, loan, advance, deposit, gift of money, or anything of value; or
(b) A legally enforceable contract, promise or agreement to make any purchase, payment, donation, distribution, loan, advance, deposit, gift of money, or anything of value.
(5) "Property or resources" means goods, services, equipment, computer software and hardware, other items of intangible property, or facilities provided to or for the benefit of a candidate, a candidate’s personal campaign committee, a political issues committee for political purposes, or advocacy for or against a ballot measure or candidate. Public property or resources that are available to the general public are exempt from this exclusion.
(6) "Public entity" means the state, each state agency, county, municipality, school district or other taxing district or public corporation empowered to submit ballot measures to its electors.
(7) "Public funds" means any money received by a public entity from appropriations, taxes, fees, interest or other returns on investment.
(8) "Public official" means an elected or appointed member of a public entity who has:
(a) Authority to make or determine public policy;
(b) Supervisory authority over the personnel and affairs of a public entity; or
(c) Authority to approve the expenditure of funds for the public entity.
(9) "State agency" means each department, commission, board, council, agency, institution, officer, corporation, fund, division, office, committee, authority or other administrative unit of the state.