Sec. 18. (a) A landlord or a person authorized to enter into a rental agreement on behalf of the landlord shall disclose and furnish to the tenant in writing at or before the commencement of the rental agreement the names and addresses of the following:
(1) A person residing in Indiana who is authorized to manage the dwelling unit.
(2) A person residing in Indiana who is reasonably accessible to the tenant and who is authorized to act as agent for the owner for purposes of:
(A) service of process; and
(B) receiving and receipting for notices and demands.
Terms Used In Indiana Code 32-31-3-18
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- landlord: means :
Indiana Code 32-31-3-3
- owner: means one (1) or more persons in whom is vested all or part of the legal title to property. See Indiana Code 32-31-3-4
- person: means an individual, a corporation, an association, a partnership, a governmental entity, a trust, an estate, or any other legal or commercial entity. See Indiana Code 32-31-3-5
- rental agreement: means an agreement together with any modifications, embodying the terms and conditions concerning the use and occupancy of a rental unit. See Indiana Code 32-31-3-7
- tenant: means an individual who occupies a rental unit:
Indiana Code 32-31-3-10
A person who is identified as being authorized to manage under subdivision (1) may also be identified as the person authorized to act as agent under subdivision (2).
(b) This section is enforceable against any successor landlord, owner, or manager.
(c) A person who fails to comply with subsection (a) becomes an agent of each person who is a landlord for purposes of:
(1) service of process and receiving and receipting for notices and demands; and
(2) performing the obligations of the landlord under law or the rental agreement.
(d) If the information required by subsection (a) is not disclosed at the beginning of the rental agreement, the tenant shall be allowed any expenses reasonably incurred to discover the names and addresses required to be furnished.
[Pre-2002 Recodification Citation: 32-7-5-18.]
As added by P.L.2-2002, SEC.16.